Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone ever

+9
chelle
WhtTigress
Momto3
bizzeedee
tara
mandja
Missy
Rebecca1340
edbson
13 posters

Go down

Has anyone ever Empty Has anyone ever

Post by edbson Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:14 pm

Successfully stopped smoking?
I am taking Chantix, day 5, so I am supposed to stop on Sunday, day 8. The problem is, Chantix has Side effects, some I can deal with, and some I cannot. Gas and weird dreams are Ok, I can deal. The ungodly AWFUL heartburn( think pregnant terminal heartburn) I cannot. SO, I might stop taking them and go cold turkey, I might also commit a homicide. So if anyone has any hints, or advice I am all ears.....I need to quit, I WANT to quit...I am just apparently Not a quitter.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Has anyone ever Empty Re: Has anyone ever

Post by Rebecca1340 Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:28 pm

Sorry, I'm no help. I didn't smoke for very long and when I quit I just went cold turkey. Dh has been trying for years. He has gone from about a pack and a half/day to about half a pack. He uses a nicotine inhaler thing that seems to help him when he's stressed.
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:31 pm

I wish I could offer advice, but I never really took up that habit. I did as a teen, trying to be "cool" but all I got was a nasty headache. So of course I was able to to cold turkey. And I do not know anyone that has successfully quit. I will check around with other family and see what they think.
Missy
Missy
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 2031
Honeycomb : Level 6- The Abyss
Registration date : 2008-04-25

http://www.cafemom.com/home/missmissy

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:32 pm

Dh quit on sunday, cold turkey, and other than being an ass he does not seemed bothered. He wil probably be my victim .....I DO know we cannot both quit in the same time period....that would just be too much.
Last time we decided to quit together I nearly threw him out of the boat, and threatened to swim home!
edbson
edbson

Back to top Go down

Post by mandja Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:44 pm

My husband quit cold turkey... he used snacks... a ton of suckers to take the place of the habit... it worked and the suckers where much easier to give up.
mandja
mandja
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 377
Honeycomb : 6
Registration date : 2008-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:46 pm

I quit Feb 16th. I totally credit the Chantix, and an unbelievable amount of will power. The first three days were awful but it got better. They upset my stomach a LOT so I stopped after three weeks.
I am ashamed to say after fighting with my parents and then getting a but intoxicated I smoked three cigarettes last Sat night, the first and only time I cheated. Sunday I felt like shit, my throat hurt, I coughed up nasty brown stuff (which has not happened since I quit).

I also had extras like gum and the inhaler but I didn;t use them. I figured if teh chantix was blocking teh nicotine, than wth was the point of taking extra nicotine other than to get my money for the extras.

I was also ready, nothing will work unless you WANT to quit. I enjoyed smoking but I had had enough of the sore throat, the raspy voice, the smell, waking up hacking up a lung like a 90 year old. The kicker was my three old imatating me (although we have not smoked in the house since before kids) through the window and asking whe she would be old enough to smoke.

Hubby wasn't sucessful, but he didn't really try either, he took the chantix for two weeks and said well it's not working. Now I can't stand to smell him, he smells like week old ashtray and I make him shower before crawling into bed near me. You will be amazed at how much better you can smell when you don't smoke- everything smells and tastes better (or worse) Really, it does.

I didn't get heartburn but the constant naseua sucked big time. Oh and the dreams were undescribable, so I get that part. I don't know short of thinking of that grandbaby to be, not that it makes it easier but it helps to think you are doing it for a reason other than just depriving yourself. Tell everyone else to stay the f*** away and not bother you for their own safety Smile
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:48 pm

yes sucking nonstop on candy was helpful in teh beginning. I should also say it was my pride that got me through. Hubby laughed and said "yeah right, you can't quit" that was all it took. I said wanna f'in bet? and I thought of that everytime I wanted one.
tara
tara

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:09 pm

Tara is absolutely right. You have to WANT to... not because someone asked you to, or because you don't want your kids seeing you smoke... it has to be a selfish act, for YOU and YOU alone.

I was never successful the many years I tried... hypnotism, a pregnancy that wasn't, until finally, about 10 years ago. I really wanted to. At that time, I used Zyban (same kind of side effects, it sounds like with the Chantix) and the patch. Eventually, it worked.

But I will be the first to admit, there are times when I'd kill for a smoke. Yet I hate 2nd hand smoke.

If you really want it, good luck. You can do it. Really. And it can be hard. But I've heard lots of success stories resulting from Chantix.
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~

Back to top Go down

Post by Momto3 Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:28 pm

I smoked for 10+ years and quit 9 years ago with Wellbutrin (generic for Zyban) when I was pregnant with my first child . Unfortunately I was stupid and started again, so I used it again when I was pregnant with child #2. I swear by the stuff. I had one false start, but other than that it was actually pretty easy. I didn't have any cravings, didn't cough, nothing. I do know that some people have very vivid dreams as a side effect and don't stay on it because of that, but I didn't have that problem.

Momto3
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by WhtTigress Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:13 pm

I have never smoked, but one of the guys I work with took wellbutrin, and the other quit cold turkey. If you don't like the chantix you might ask the doc about wellbutrin(zyban).
WhtTigress
WhtTigress
Worker Bee
Worker Bee

Number of posts : 105
Honeycomb : Level 6 - Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:23 pm

I tried the Zyban once before, and am allergic to it, so it is out of the question. I have a giant ecomony size drum of tums...so hopefully that will work.
edbson
edbson

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:04 pm

I have quit cold turkey, quit by rationing them (i could never find anyone to help me with this) and quit on chantix. Chantix by far was the easiest. I quit new years eve 2 years ago BUT I didnt stay quit that long. and I think its what caused me to get pregnant. (for some reason anytime I get on a med that has anything for nerves I end up preg.) I started back the week after Bow was born.

I dont want to quit. But I seriously have to. I only have 2 weeks worth of chantix left from my last go round, and hope they will last me out... so far there has been no decrease. and with my brood I cant handle the agervation with the one nerve I have left...
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:25 pm

edbson wrote:Dh quit on sunday, cold turkey, and other than being an ass he does not seemed bothered. He wil probably be my victim .....I DO know we cannot both quit in the same time period....that would just be too much.
Last time we decided to quit together I nearly threw him out of the boat, and threatened to swim home!
That's the worst part for me -- he tries to quit and gets so cranky that I usually hope that he'll start up again!
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss

http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by trax Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:04 pm

To smoke is an addiction. As we know, there are many addictions i.e. food, colas, beer, what-have-you.

I do smoke, I do not believe I am ever going to quit.

I have a fond memory of my Mom when she was struck with dementia. She asked me for a cigarette (I was pleased she remembered I smoked). I explained that we could not smoke cigarettes in a hospital, to which she promptly stood up and said well, let's go outside. We did.

My father, prior to his death and being the last time I saw him alive - asked me to take him to the smoking room in the old folks home, I did. It is the last picture I have of my Dad and I - yep, smoking cigarettes.

Any addiction is hard to overcome. It is probably easier to overthrow a government than it is to overcome an addiction.
trax
trax

Number of posts : 1470
Honeycomb : In Hold Mode - Level 6
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by honcho Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:14 pm

My mom quit in '87 after smoking for over 10 years...her incentive was her finance told
her he wanted to marry her but would never marry a smoker. She never picked up another
one. She did however develop a major lemon drop habit Razz
honcho
honcho
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 461
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:36 am

I tried the candy thing. Unfortunatly, I have such BAD teeth that I would brush no less than 6 times a day and ended up with 8 cavities after about 4 months. I went back to smoking to quit the suckers. and lifesavors, and ....
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:34 am

My teeth are awful too, not that I have too many of my own left. I stuck to sugar free and brushed constantly. Supposedly not smoking is much better for your teeth because you produce more saliva that cuts odwn on cavaties. AT least that is what my dentist claims, lol, but she was a non smoker.
tara
tara

Back to top Go down

Post by Scar Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:47 am

You name it.......smoking wrecks it.
Makes me how the hell I ever started it in the first place. Neutral
Scar
Scar

Number of posts : 1135
Honeycomb : Honey-Freaking-Bee-Finally!
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:16 am

I do the sugar free gum, but I have TMJ, so it hurts after a while. I am not quitting this week, dh has cellulitis and is a whiny ass baby.
edbson
edbson

Back to top Go down

Post by Maggie Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:42 pm

Well my husband kind of did.. (he still smokes sometimes when I'm not with him.)
Maggie
Maggie

Number of posts : 1181
Honeycomb : Level 6, 1 Golden Key
Registration date : 2008-03-22

http://moneyandfreebies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content