Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is even worse than the dog getting sprayed! Do NOT read if you have a weak stomach

+9
thebigscott
Scar
chelle
edbson
tara
mrschia
BeachyBum
jillalvarez2003
Rebecca1340
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

This is even worse than the dog getting sprayed!  Do NOT read if you have a weak stomach Empty This is even worse than the dog getting sprayed! Do NOT read if you have a weak stomach

Post by Rebecca1340 Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:53 am

I am so grossed out right now -- I've never seen this before!
As you all know my 8 year old cat, Rosie, was sick and almost died in the spring. At the time her tail hurt her and I suspected it had been broken, but that seemed secondary to keeping her alive. After her antibiotics were finished her tail didn't seem to bother her any more and she had been doing really well. She's been happy, put the weight she had lost back on, eating, playing, and even greeting visitors that she knows when they drop by. Last night she came to bed with me. She was happy and purring and was still sleeping at the foot of my bed when I fell asleep.
This morning when Sam started to climb into bed at 6:30 for a cuddle before starting his day he got part way up and said, "What is that?" He was pointing to something at the foot of the bed. I couldn't see what it was in the dim light so dh turned on the light.
"That's the end of Rosie's tail," he said. I looked and sure enough it was the last two inches of Rosie's tail. There's really not a whole lot that grosses me out, but this did (still does), but I pulled myself together and went to find Rosie. I was worried she was going to be in severe pain or bleeding or I would find her dead or freaking out somewhere. I found her sleeping on the stairs. When I spoke to her and started to pet her she purred and "talked back" and is now happily following me around the house.
She seems fine right now, but obviously I'm going to be phoning the vet's office as soon as they open. It's all I can do not to freak out and take her to the emergency clinic though!

Last edited by Rebecca1340 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

This is even worse than the dog getting sprayed!  Do NOT read if you have a weak stomach Empty Re: This is even worse than the dog getting sprayed! Do NOT read if you have a weak stomach

Post by jillalvarez2003 Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:02 am

Oh My! I hope she'll be okay. {{{HUGS}}} for you and Rosie!
jillalvarez2003
jillalvarez2003
Worker Bee
Worker Bee

Number of posts : 144
Honeycomb : Level 6
Registration date : 2008-05-19

Back to top Go down

This is even worse than the dog getting sprayed!  Do NOT read if you have a weak stomach Empty Re: This is even worse than the dog getting sprayed! Do NOT read if you have a weak stomach

Post by Rebecca1340 Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:25 am

I've been doing some Googling and apparently this isn't all that uncommon. I'm still about to puke though and I'm still calling the vet's office as soon as possible!
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BeachyBum Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:34 am

Rebecca, I was googling for you, there's a lot of people who's cat's tail had been broken and fell off ...... try googling 'cats tail tip fell off' and see if there's anything that helps you along.

Poor Rosie Sad
I'm such a cat lover.

My friend's dalmation had a similar thing, ok not really similar, it's tail got closed in the door, breaking the tip off....

the dog was still happy and playful, except it was wagging it's tail and bleeding .... and well, you can imagine how the walls looked. lol
BeachyBum
BeachyBum
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 791
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~ 2 Golden Keys ~ Bzzing since 2003
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by BeachyBum Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:35 am

Posted at the same time Rebecca! lol

Will Rosie let you wrap her tail with gauze, or will it make you sick ?
BeachyBum
BeachyBum

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:38 am

I think she'd pick at the gauze. She's still just snoozing/purring here at the desk in front of me. The stupid thing is that if she was bleeding or in distress I'd be in there doing kitty first aid no problem. I think I'm more bothered by the fact that she's not bothered! LOL!
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BeachyBum Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:43 am

OK well in the interest of your tummy, we won't discuss why it possibly happened. lol
I'd be doing just the same as you, planning the vet and trying to push the rest out of my mind until I got her there!

Sam seemed OK Smile
BeachyBum
BeachyBum

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:49 am

Sam's fine. He's had some breakfast and is playing wii. I'm much more bothered than anyone else! LOL!
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mrschia Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:48 am

Wow, looks like it lost blood flow and closed it self off. I know they do it to dogs and other animals with rubber bands for the short tail look. I bet she is fine, but that would freak me out since it was not planned.

EEEKKKKK!

But not much bothers me since my Dad is a big gane hunter and we always had odd parts in the fridge from bears or deer, lol
mrschia
mrschia

Number of posts : 670
Honeycomb : Level 6~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:16 am

Oh poor Rebecca, I would freak and then freak again. Mrschia is probably right, it lost blood flow and was basically dead on there, so Rosie is probably better off without it. Be thankful there is no blood involved. Can you see where it was, does it look okay, any signs of irritation or infection? I wouldn;t wrap it either if there is no blood it will just make her more aware of it and it could irritate it.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:40 am

I talked to the vet. They'll squeeze her in if she starts to act uncomfortable, but at this point she's still fine and the vet is in surgery all afternoon so they said to keep an eye on her and when I get the stomach to take a good look at it I could soak it in epsom salts if I thought she needed it. I have some first aid spray for pets so maybe I'll try that -- I think I could do that soon. I just can't get over the way she's just wandering around, mewing and purring as if nothing happened! It's probably just as well since I'm grossed out enough for everyone!
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:01 am

Poor kitty, poor Rebecca!
If she isn't bothered then leave it alone, she'll mess with it more if you mess with it.
She will be fine, just leave it alone.

ANd I would have totally freaked out if I had woken to that
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:12 am

LOL, sorry, its just funny.

I fiqure it died and fell off. I used to casterate my goats that way. its the safest as less painful way to do it.
Anyway. she will lick it if it needs cleaning. I'd just leave her be Smile and try not to freak..

I might be grossed out if I found it, but hearing about it doesnt bother me at all. Smile
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:22 pm

I had forgotten about farmers cropping tails/castrating animals by tying the part off! I knew a couple of old timers who did that, but haven't seen it in years! I think it was being caught off guard that got to me more than anything -- that's definately not how I expected to wake up. Plus, this wasn't some random sheep, this was my baby and she lost her tail on my bed! LOL!
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BeachyBum Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:23 pm

lol @ random sheep
BeachyBum
BeachyBum

Back to top Go down

Post by Scar Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:30 pm

This is even worse than the dog getting sprayed!  Do NOT read if you have a weak stomach 363723 This is even worse than the dog getting sprayed!  Do NOT read if you have a weak stomach 88315 This is even worse than the dog getting sprayed!  Do NOT read if you have a weak stomach 363723

Sorry, I'm kinda sick that way I'm still ROFLMAO

(not poor kitty losing her tail but at what Rebecca's face must have looked like) This is even worse than the dog getting sprayed!  Do NOT read if you have a weak stomach 363723
Scar
Scar
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 1135
Honeycomb : Honey-Freaking-Bee-Finally!
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:23 pm

Rebecca1340 wrote: Plus, this wasn't some random sheep, this was my baby and she lost her tail on my bed! LOL!

LOL I understand, when I started doing it this way (cheaper, less mess, and MUCH easier!!) I was always afraid I would find mountain oysters in the feed trough (cause goats climb on EVERYTHING, and were ALWAYS in the feed throughs.) Luckily I never did! Smile
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:55 pm

That would be SO disturbing. I'm so glad it didn't happen to me, LOL! I would have freaked. This way, I can just laugh at Rebecca for freaking. Wink
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:32 pm

chelle wrote:
Rebecca1340 wrote: Plus, this wasn't some random sheep, this was my baby and she lost her tail on my bed! LOL!

LOL I understand, when I started doing it this way (cheaper, less mess, and MUCH easier!!) I was always afraid I would find mountain oysters in the feed trough (cause goats climb on EVERYTHING, and were ALWAYS in the feed throughs.) Luckily I never did! Smile
Well goats do eat everything...

Oh and Karen and Scar, thank you for the support during my trauma This is even worse than the dog getting sprayed!  Do NOT read if you have a weak stomach 147615

This is even worse than the dog getting sprayed!  Do NOT read if you have a weak stomach 88315
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:36 pm

Oh, I DO support you! I'm just glad it's not you supporting me. Razz
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by aundrea2u Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:08 pm

OMG poor kitty I think I would have tossed my cookies. YUCK. Hope all is well
aundrea2u
aundrea2u
Worker Bee
Worker Bee

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2008-06-09

Back to top Go down

Post by idatater46 Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:36 pm

Chelle, they have a big one day event here in Idaho, Rocky Mountain Oyster Day-= never been brave enough to try them. But when we raised goats, they did sometimes use that method to castrate them also. Rebecca, finding the cat's tail in bed would freak anyone out- she is probably happier without it now.
idatater46
idatater46

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:22 pm

(trying to picture chelle castrating goats) where's a goat emoticon when you need it?
KellyM
KellyM

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Muggins Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:34 pm

Actually, I've had cats leave worse things than the end of their tail on my bed in the dead of night! Give me a piece of tail any day! This is even worse than the dog getting sprayed!  Do NOT read if you have a weak stomach 765670 Laughing Very Happy Wink

Rosie will be just fine Rebecca ........ if she was going to have suffered any ill/infectious effects she likely would have done so long ago ....... have you ever really banged up a nail and ended up losing it .......... kind of, sort of the same thing
Muggins
Muggins
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 249
Honeycomb : Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:37 pm

ROFLMAO!!

Actually Kelly, when they got up big enough they were so agervating that you didnt mind it Wink LOL

LOL Rebecca, I never thought about THAT happening to them! Smile

ida, I have never had them either. Now just plain ole goat meat.. I like that. But I dont eat oysters of ANY kind.. Wink LOL

I didnt think about that muggins! You are right.. My cat had KITTENS in my bed UNDER the covers. LOL That was nasty
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next