Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My niece wants help with affordable (but nice) wedding favors

+11
tara
thebigscott
aurora04
Starrlyte
trax
chelle
edbson
Rebecca1340
Scar
amybeccaz
Lori
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My niece wants help with affordable (but nice) wedding favors Empty My niece wants help with affordable (but nice) wedding favors

Post by Lori Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:27 pm

I got an email from my niece who is planning a Michigan wedding though she lives in WI. She needs ideas for nice wedding favors that are still affordable -she plans on having about 180 guests. Does anyone have any ideas? There were no such things as wedding favors when I got married so I am clueless here. We used to just give everyone cake and send them home. Now guests expect favors? The only thing I've heard of is those yucky Jordan Almonds in pastel colors. LOL
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

My niece wants help with affordable (but nice) wedding favors Empty Re: My niece wants help with affordable (but nice) wedding favors

Post by amybeccaz Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:35 pm

Check Martha Stewart's website... she's got great ideas for cheap but yet affordable & nice party favors for weddings.

Course, a candy bar would be awesome, and people just put what they want in a bag. I've always wanted to do that!
amybeccaz
amybeccaz
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2008-04-12

http://www.twocuteblondies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

My niece wants help with affordable (but nice) wedding favors Empty Re: My niece wants help with affordable (but nice) wedding favors

Post by Scar Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:35 pm

What is her wedding theme?
Scar
Scar
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 1135
Honeycomb : Honey-Freaking-Bee-Finally!
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:38 pm

We had packets of wildflower seeds in a personalized package at our wedding. They were cheap and something a bit different.
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:44 pm

I think her theme is - hey, I'm finally getting married. Something like that. LOL

Weddings need a theme now, too?

It's an October wedding, though.
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 pm

Yes, weddings have themes, or color schemes or whatever. Mine was "shotgun wedding"...LOL

We had candles with personalized labels, yankee candle does them I think
My Niece had personalized packages of flower/veggie seeds, had a poem and the date, they were cute and cheap
She could do her own candles, juts print labels on the computer and tape them on Votives.
Hershey bars with personalized labels too, just print them up and tape them on.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:55 pm

I gave everyone BBQ and beer.

I like the wildflower seeds. Of course I'd do blue bonnets..

My colors were hunter green and gold (but we had to switch it to deep bright yellow, cause you cant find anything in gold. ) my flower was a yellow rose.
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by trax Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:10 pm

An easy favor to do is one with Hersey Kisses. You place two kisses in a plastic teaspoon and wrap it with netting, attach a ribbon with a printed note that reads....something like.
We share with you are kisses
As we begin our life as Mr. and Mrs.
Thank you
Joe and Mary Six Pack

...oh hey, where is that six pack emoticon? Rebecca - more work.
trax
trax

Number of posts : 1470
Honeycomb : In Hold Mode - Level 6
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:18 pm

M&M ( I think ) will personalize candies too.

but I bet they are 'spensive..
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by amybeccaz Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:03 pm

Yep, weddings have themes now! Smile Mine was something like a walk through the garden kind of theme (rose & forest green). I had topiary trees, etc.

Find out the theme, and we can brainstorm some more. Smile
amybeccaz
amybeccaz

Back to top Go down

Post by amybeccaz Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:03 pm

Oh .. I have heard of one wedding favor. Krispy Kreme donuts!! They come in boxes for 2 donuts, and each person left w/ a box. COOL!! I'd rather have that than a picture w/ a frame of the couple.
amybeccaz
amybeccaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrlyte Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:26 pm

My cousin did cd's of her favorite music and put a picture of her and her husband as the label.
My brother and his wife just did candles. They poured them themselves and she designed the scent (she works for a fragrance house).
Starrlyte
Starrlyte
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 349
Honeycomb : 5
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by aurora04 Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:48 pm

My sister's wedding was in October. Her favors weren't overly expensive, just time consuming. She did apples dipped in caramel then dipped in chocolate. They were so good! It took us a few attempts to get it right tho. The caramel kept sliding off the apples, then once we figured out that problem, the chocolate would slide off the caramel. LOL. Once we got it down pat, it was quite fast.
aurora04
aurora04

Number of posts : 766
Honeycomb : Level 6, Sweet Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:03 pm

I thought you came to weddings to see people you love get married. When did it start to be about getting things?

OK, cheap nice stuff. I like the CD idea. Maybe some of the music played at the reception?
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:05 pm

oops we also did beer and bbq, lol. The actual wedding theme was court house white I guess.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:06 pm

Dawn, seems like I've been through the caramel sliding off the apples, too.

Good ideas, ladies, I can email these ideas to her and ask for any specifics (theme or colors). I like the CD idea a lot. That could be fun, especially if the bride and groom could record a message to their guests to put on the CD. I'll bet my son could help them with that. CDs are cheap enough and they wouldn't need 180 of them, just one per couple or single.
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:09 pm

I agree Karen, I am wondering the same thing.
WE had napkins with our names on them, and a little cowgirl and cowboy
and we fed everyone.
OH and I did make roses that were full of bird seed for folks to throw. well you didnt throw them, you shook them. But I also made bags of rice.

The roses were SOOO cute. I wonder if anyone kept them? I had 6 yellow ones and 6 green ones (made out of the same material as my Bridesmaid dresses) in a beautiful vase that I got my first dozen roses in, in my kitchen. I'll have to find out if anyone has pictures of the wedding or some napkins or the roses stuffed somewhere.. I'd like to have them.
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by aurora04 Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:28 pm

At my cousin's wedding, they decided how much they wanted to spend on favours, then donated that amount to charity. I don't know if they did it in each guest name, as a family, or just as one big donation. They then printed off "Thank You" stating that they made a donation to such and such charity.

I also went to a wedding where they bought a bunch of different charity bracelets and put those down as favors.
aurora04
aurora04

Number of posts : 766
Honeycomb : Level 6, Sweet Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Scar Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:40 pm

We gave out decks of cards

We met thru mutual friends while playing Spades. I was fussing about the hand Fred dealt me.
I said "Normally I at least get flowers before someone screws me."
He said "What's your address?"
I scribbled it down thinking he was just kidding.
Low & behold, the next day my doorbell rang & there was the florist delivery guy with a dozen pink roses.

I found the cards at Dollar Tree-2 packs for a $1.00, then I printed what we wanted to say on large address labels and stuck them on the front of the cards...put them in a bag tied a little ribbon on the top, ta-da!

My niece wants help with affordable (but nice) wedding favors Favor10

Because we had an outdoor wedding I also gave out handheld, fold-out, paperfans I got them 10 for $1.00

My niece wants help with affordable (but nice) wedding favors Fan10

Check this site, they have the best prices around.

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/shared/sharedFlowController.goToBrowseController.do?requestURI=viewEndecaCategory&categoryId=377344&tabId=PartySupplies
Scar
Scar

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:59 pm

What a great story Scarlett!

I love that site
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:02 pm

and you can get mypoints for shopping there!
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,

Back to top Go down

Post by BeachyBum Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:52 pm

At my friends wedding, she had those little matches made ..... but then we tied them to sparklers with ribbon, and the wedding couple left under a stream of sparklers insted of getting pelted with birdseed.

Was pretty cool, but it was also a night wedding Wink
BeachyBum
BeachyBum

Number of posts : 791
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~ 2 Golden Keys ~ Bzzing since 2003
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:27 pm

awww scarlett!! how cute!
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Scar Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:01 am

Embarassed Thanks!
Even though we had both been married before we wanted a "wedding" & we wanted to invite our close friends and family. (75-100 guests invited)
Then I was challenged to make it as nice as possible and save as much money as possible.
We had a blast & I really enjoyed making all the little cutesie pootsie stuff that goes along with weddings.
Scar
Scar

Back to top Go down

Post by BeachyBum Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:24 am

Scar,

That was a really creative idea too! My worst nightmare would be to make all that cute stuff. lol I swear, I used to be organized and creative when I was younger ... now ? I don't think I have the patience.

My admiration to you! (and all of you crafty creative gals!)
BeachyBum
BeachyBum

Number of posts : 791
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~ 2 Golden Keys ~ Bzzing since 2003
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next