Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My baby's getting glasses

+3
edbson
thebigscott
JeepMom
7 posters

Go down

My baby's getting glasses Empty My baby's getting glasses

Post by JeepMom Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:19 pm

My sis works for an eye dr. I mentioned I needed to take my 5yo (Taylor) to get her exam done for kindergarten(now state mandated). She told me to get Emma's(3yo) eyes checked as well. Sis said she noticed a slight lazy eye, she was right.

Luckily I got "the family" discount. I paid $126 for the exam and two complete pairs.

I'll post pics once we get them. My sister lives 3 hours away and she's the one that will make Emma's glasses. She makes all the glasses for this group of stores owned by the same guy. So, instead of waiting a week she's making them on Monday morning and they will be here by Tuesday afternoon.

I have to take Taylor in tomorrow incase she needs glasses as well so we can get them on the same day.
JeepMom
JeepMom
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 267
Honeycomb : Level 6 SweetBee
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Back to top Go down

My baby's getting glasses Empty Re: My baby's getting glasses

Post by thebigscott Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:34 pm

Good catch. You should look into vision therapy. It helped my older son a lot. It's covered by insurance and can make a big difference. (Zaven's right eye went from 20/100 to 20/40)
thebigscott
thebigscott
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm

Wow, I paid $300 for just glasses last year, and DD doesn't even need them now.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Scar Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:54 pm

I'll bet Emma is going to be a little doll in them.
Please post pics.
Scar
Scar

Number of posts : 1135
Honeycomb : Honey-Freaking-Bee-Finally!
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Starrlyte Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:45 am

Vision therapy??? I've never heard about that! What's involved?

My oldest is in contacts, but fortunately my vision benefits are actually good.
Starrlyte
Starrlyte
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 349
Honeycomb : 5
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:03 pm

First off, let me make a disclaimer. Zaven had drastic improvement for reasons that may not apply to everyone. He'd had a cataract (probably since birth) in his right eye. But he used both eyes together, seemed to see fine, and passed multiple eye tests. He apparently thought they were memory test. Look at this, tell us what it say, then we'll make it to where you can't see and you'll tell us what it said. He had a great memory. So when it was discovered, he was 5. He had surgery and his vision in that eye went from 20/200 (the big E on the top of the chart) to 20/100 (the next line down). That was with glasses. His brain had learned years ago to not pay attention to input from that eye, so even though the eyeball worked fine now, his brain wouldn't accept the signals from it. Kind of like a radio station. How often would you check 103.7 on the dial if you knew that there was not a station broadcasting on that channel? So we were told to force him to use the eye, and to cover his good eye with an adhesive patch all day, which basically blinded him. When he didn't improve much over the course of several months, the doctor told us it wouldn't get better and that nothing more could be done. Then my MIL told us about how her eye doctor offered vision therapy. So we went and had him evaluated and they laughed and said of course they could help him see better. So once a week for about 4 or 5 months I drove him an hour away to their office. They took him in the back and he played computer games (which he loved, of course) where he had to look through googles to play. The images shown to each eye were slightly different (kind of like viewmaster toys) and they tailored the images to train his brain to make both eyes work together as much as possible, changing the differences between the two images a little each week until it was normal depth perception. (He had depth perception for the first time!) And he started using his right eye. He suddenly went from being left handed and left footed to being right handed and right footed. That was a side effect of now having vision in his right eye. Hand dominance is usually tied to eye dominance. Anyhow, he played computer games that were fun, and got higher scores if he used both eyes together. He got a candy bar at the end of each session. And he was depressed when he they told us that he didn't need to come back any more. No patching, no being blind all day, and he improved to 20/40 in that eye, which is about what I see. I'm legal to drive w/o glasses.

I know that some people benefit a great deal from vision therapy (even w/o the special circumstances) and that especially for someone who favors one eye over the other, such as JeepMom's daughter Emma, it is well worth looking into. I've also read that the evaluation (to see if you use both eyes equally) often catches kids who have simply been diagnosed as ADD. They don't get caught on standard eye tests, because both eyes work. But their eyes don't work well together and it makes it hard for them to read, see things at a distance, etc. I actually read an article about it in a magazine this month, but I can't remember which one.

And for those of you who are really into new treatments, check out corneal molding. You wear custom made contacts at night that press your eyes into the right shape. Then during the day you see 20/20. As long as you wear the contacts at night, you see normally during the day. At least, that's what they say. I just read about it last month and want to check it out for Scott.

Another thing
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by JeepMom Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:56 pm

I totaly forgot to post her pics!

My baby's getting glasses 100_4300

My baby's getting glasses 100_4299
JeepMom
JeepMom
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 267
Honeycomb : Level 6 SweetBee
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:32 pm

she looks totally cute in her new glasses!
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:00 pm

Adorable!! I like the second pair best! They show off her eyes more, (so bright blue!)

I cant imagine if my kids needed glasses, they cant even keep up with their cup of punch and it sits on the table and never leaves. LOL Plus they are always tussiling. I pray they didnt get my eyes. I am blind as a bat. BR has great vision. I just hope they take after him.

If they dont, I am afraid I am in for LOTS of broken pairs!
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:47 am

She looks happy with them! Is she proud of them? Zaven always loved getting new glasses.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content