Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dentures (full & partial)

+6
Rebecca1340
thebigscott
Honey
kath
tara
bizzeedee
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Dentures (full & partial) Empty Dentures (full & partial)

Post by bizzeedee Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:10 pm

Since living in KY (7 years now) I blamed my dental problems on the water. I've never had great teeth... it's the genes, I'm the last of 3 sibs to have any of my own teeth!

So after having lost 3 (they just plum came out) and breaking two crowns, I knew I had to do something. Last Nov., I met the mother in law of a friend at a holiday dinner, and strange as it seems, we got to talking about teeth. Sunny shared with me that she had partials. Shoot, she even asked if I wanted to see them, so off to the powder room we went.

Sunny's dentist likes Valplast Flexible Dentures. She contacted her dentist and then email me, saying that if I couldn't find a doc in Hoptown that used this product, he'd be happy to do it (he's in Louisville, a 3 hours drive, and don't think I didn't contemplate.

Okay, so I'm going to try real hard not to make this a novella.

Found a dentist here who really feels positive and has used the Valpast for a long time.

Jan. 29th went for a consultation.

Jan. 31st, had 8 teeth (back) extracted (remember I'd already lost 3 of those back teeth).

I lived on potato soup (or variations of) for 6 weeks... fruit smoothies in the morning.

Lost 8 pounds Wink

after 3 weeks, went in for the first molding (?), couple weeks later, another molding, called a fitting, then it became just about every other day.

Got my partials on March 11th. Hurt like heck. Two days later, adjustment. Another week, adjustments (still on soup at that point, hurt to chomp solids).

Last6 week, the 18th, another adjustment... and at last, I'm eating "some" foods. Salads still don't work at this point, nor do carrot sticks. Warm gushy cheese-pizza was a challenge, as I mentioned, but cold, can deal.

I do have 8 top teeth. 6 of those consist of a bridge (that's a whole nother chaper in my life), two pretty good naturals. I also have a bridge on the bottom (that would be another chapter) and 3 natural.

The doctor wanted to keep as many natural teeth as possible for anchors.

Okay, so these Valplast partials are great. No metal. Flexible (they cannot break unless you hit them with a hammer or drive over them)... they have little 'hooks' if you will, that grab hold of the natural teeth. And they blend right in with my gums.

You might be thinking, hmmm, wonder how much that cost. I do not have any dental insurance. I was expecting (as was my husband, but who said what it costs, we'd do it for me) a very hight price tage. But nope, well, it's relative I guess, but both the tops and bottoms cost 925 each. The extractions were something like 1,000.

They feel strange. I'm getting better at putting them in in the morning. I mean the bottoms go in "pffft" just like that... but the uppers are a challenge, due to the hooks that have to slide on the natural teeth. I'm a little gentle about doing it... but don't think I need to be quite so gently... cause if I get them in the right place, they do pop right in.

I love that when I smile, there are no spaces, my mouth (which is horribly small) looks bigger and fuller.

I do take them out every night, as recommended by my dentist.

I'm glad, very glad I did this. but it was a long time on soup (and many people would ask... "aren't you tired of potato soup?" And I would say now... I got to putting Rally Burger chili ( a southern chain) in with the soup, then blending it all. It was danged tasty. After a while, when you can't chew, you don't even think about the fact that you're used to snacking all day (my vice).

Would I do it all again? You betcha. There was a week when I didn't feel that way, when I first got them... and told my dentist the same. But he assured me, most people go thru it and we'd keep adjusting until we get them perfect.

I go back this Tues. for hopefully the last adjustment. The teeth on the right side don't totally connect... so find that all my chewing is done on one side... and they will raise the lowers on that side that doesn't connect all in one day. In other words, I go in at 8, leave the bottoms, and go back and 4 and they should be done.

I don't know if any of this is helpful to you. I sure hope so. I know, when Sunny opend up to me and shared what she had gone thru and the product she had... it was like fate was smiling down on me (pun intended!)
bizzeedee
bizzeedee
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~
Registration date : 2008-03-10

Back to top Go down

Dentures (full & partial) Empty Re: Dentures (full & partial)

Post by tara Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:49 pm

I appreciate the post.... I've been back toothless on one side for two months now. I was given the option of getting a temp partial until my gums healed from the extractions but I just don't have that kind of money, they wanted 350 for that (with my insurance) but then my insurance wouldn't cover the valplast and I couldn't see scrounging it up for two lousy months, I hibernate in the winter anyway. I do have a big party to go to in two weeks, I wont be smiling that's for sure, lol.
I start the molding process next Monday, I'm excited. Kinda scared too it's going to cost me more to drive there and back (45 mins one way) for all the adjustments and the fittings than the actual partial, lol.
So all together how many trips have you made total on molding/ fitting/ adjustments?
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:54 pm

Dee! Thank you so much for all of this info....
There is absolutely NO ONE I know that I can ask...

You have no idea how much it means to me that you went to all of this trouble to
spell it all out and to open up so much for me...

Many Thanks!

I am having 21 teeth out ...all of the that are left.

I have no idea what kind of dentures they will be.. but they are being made by a lab
that has been in business in the same area for 35 years and is recommended by this
oral surgeon, who has a stellar reputation. They will go so far to remake the dentures at no
charge if need be.
It is costing me 2300$ over and about insurance for the extractions.
It is costing me 2600$ for the dentures, no insurance left to hep with that...

I get my dentures the same day

I have to wear them without linings for 14 days if I can manage it.. according to the surgeon.. he said that is
difficult but he swears it is worth it..then I get the liners and adjustments as needed..

At least I am pretty sure that is what he said...( I had a migraine from someones cologne at work when I was last there)

................Its a good thing I like soup... and apparently a good thing I have that little Cuisinart gadget ... to blend it!

but seeing you say that you would do it again helps soo soo much!

my teeth are all filled or have root canals... the ones with root canals are turning dark..
I have huge spaces in back and lost a crown a few weeks ago..

That is when I knew it was time.

All of this has to be paid up front..
I am using some savings
some tax return
some 401k money that I took out in desperation

but I keep thinking I am doing the right thing...

My daughter is being very encouraging.. she knows the issues that I have had with my teeth over the years

Once, I had an infection so bad and so painful... even after antibiotics I was still in terrible pain
When I went in to have it pulled the novacaine would not work..
he ( a random dentist) said if it didn't work that last time he would have to give up and we would have to wait a week or two

I lied to him

I told him it worked..I just but I had to make it stop

It is embarrassing to have this problem... people think that you don't brush or that you live on candy bars and coke or something
but.. thats not the case.. I even brush at work most days..

It will be over soon...

and I need to lose a few tens of pounds.. soooo

but again...

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am stunned by your kindness.....
kath
kath

Number of posts : 1338

http://mckaitsbooks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:09 pm

kath... I know exactly what you mean about people thinking it your fault. When my husband and I first moved in together... he had no toothbrush. he didn't forget to bring one- he didn't brush!!!!!!! ( he chewed gum, he also had me convinced he showered on a regular basis.... but that's another story, lol) I still 6 years later hound him daily to brush, and I doubt he has ever flossed.

the man has NEVER had a single cavity in his life!!!!!! Nope not a one, had braces as a kid but they finally took them off because he didn't do what he was suppose to and refused to take care of them.

I get so mad over it, I know it's stupid and not his fault but I eat healthy (with exception of diet soda) drink plenty of fluorinated water. Brush 3 times a day, floss twice, never missed a cleaning or checkup and they just rot away anyway. I'm down to 18 "real" teeth, out of those 18 6 have root canals (which have rotted anyway, except the last one, but it's only a matter of time. 8 have caps on them. So I have 10 front teeth all natural. I lost 90 % of one tooth when it broke off while I was pushing my daughter out- nearly choked to death on it... caused quite the scare when I started bleeding from my mouth and gagging, lol.
tara
tara

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:49 am

tara wrote:I appreciate the post.... I've been back toothless on one side for two months now. I was given the option of getting a temp partial until my gums healed from the extractions but I just don't have that kind of money, they wanted 350 for that (with my insurance) but then my insurance wouldn't cover the valplast and I couldn't see scrounging it up for two lousy months, I hibernate in the winter anyway. I do have a big party to go to in two weeks, I wont be smiling that's for sure, lol.
I start the molding process next Monday, I'm excited. Kinda scared too it's going to cost me more to drive there and back (45 mins one way) for all the adjustments and the fittings than the actual partial, lol.
So all together how many trips have you made total on molding/ fitting/ adjustments?

A temporary partial wasn't even on the plate for me. The doctor didn't want anything interferring with the gums healing. I didn't even have the first impression until 3 weeks after the extractions. So it's probably wise, based on what my dentist said, to not have the temp plate.

My first impression (at 3 weeks) was followed up with another kind of fitting where as the actual teeth I would have were in some sort of soft material... so that was 2 visits.

A week later, the partials were ready for my mouth, then came 3 adjustments, and my last one (hopefully) will be done on Tues. I go in at 8, leave the lowers for the lab to raise the teeth on one side, then go back same day to pick up.

If all is good after that, then I'm done. So if your dentist is anything like mine, you can count on 4-5 more visits. Sorry you have to drive so far to have the work done. I'm fortunate, my dentist is about 15 minutes from my house - tops. This is a small town!

Good luck tomorrow.
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:48 am

I don't have really bad teeth problems, but I am saving for two crowns right now. However, my husband is another story. He doesn't take care of his teeth, and he is not as lucky as Tara's husband (I suspect we could commiserate over the shower issue too Tara). I am wanting him to see what the dentist wants him to do, as in maybe time for dentures in my mind. After reading about how tough it is though, I am not sure I should force the issue. Although, I am not sure how much longer I can stand looking at the tooth he has rotting in the front. We live in the Ozarks and look like hillbillies for sure!
I too thank you for sharing your story Dee.
Honey
Honey

Number of posts : 1859
Honeycomb : 5
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:02 am

Honey wrote:I don't have really bad teeth problems, but I am saving for two crowns right now. However, my husband is another story. He doesn't take care of his teeth, and he is not as lucky as Tara's husband (I suspect we could commiserate over the shower issue too Tara). I am wanting him to see what the dentist wants him to do, as in maybe time for dentures in my mind. After reading about how tough it is though, I am not sure I should force the issue. Although, I am not sure how much longer I can stand looking at the tooth he has rotting in the front. We live in the Ozarks and look like hillbillies for sure!
I too thank you for sharing your story Dee.

Yes, it's a lot of work and expense Honey, but putting a good looking smile aside, teeth that are broken, decayed, etc are capable of causing hear disease. Yes, I've read articles about it. Gum disease is another problem that can result from decayed or absessed teeth, bad breath, and more... but it's the heart that be serverly damaged ... something about the bacteria leaving the mouth and entering the blood stream, therefore going thru and into the heart.

For the sake of his health, you should encourage him, in as gentle and non-nagging way as possible, to see a dentist pronto.
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:12 am

I went to google and put in dental and heart and this statement is from just one of many articles on the subject

Gum disease is a bacterial infection that can affect conditions outside your mouth. In heart disease, one theory is that gum disease can cause bacteria to enter the bloodstream where they attach to the fatty deposits in the heart blood vessels. This condition can cause blood clots and may lead to heart attacks.

and from another site: The researchers reported the results are consistent with previous studies that link periodontal disease and tooth loss to an increased risk of atherosclerosis and heart attack.

Just providing you ammo to help convince your husband to see a dentist.
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:54 am

Thanks, Dee. I will remind him of that also. I do worry about his heart. He is in great physical shape, but who knows about his heart with all of that bacteria.
Honey
Honey

Number of posts : 1859
Honeycomb : 5
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:27 pm

this has been a very educational thread!!!

I certainly feel less alone... and It is good to be reminded of all of the other problems bad teeth can cause..
that was one of the things that sent me down this path to begin with...

whew!

So much to think about..
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:07 pm

I have not had time to read this entire thread, as I've been away from the computer for the weekend, but wanted to tell you, even before I finish reading, that I'm thankful you shared.

Dentures (full & partial) 820607

I know that many people do not or will not understand, will treat you less well, or will feel that you are to blame for your condition and I wanted to say that anyone who does so is full of *^$%&@.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:59 am

Dentures (full & partial) 820607 agreed..
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:29 pm

I got home about an hour ago from the dentist. Had to have another casting down for upper and lower. Left both partials behind (it's soup for me tonight!). Doc called the lab, and there's a good chance they'll be ready for me by 4pm. I told him to tell them to please not rush... I want them right.

Lab will try to do the realignment with the current partials. Somehow with this Valplast, the teeth can be removed and re-inserted. But if they can't do it correctly or easily, they will remake a new set of uppers and lowers.

I have a feeling there will be more appointments ahead if they go that route... more adjustments. Eventually, it'll all be over with and me and the Doc will be pleased... I hope.
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:37 pm

I have gotten lucky- I still have 2 back teeth, both lower and upper on one side, so I haven't had to do the soup diet-yet. Although after months of chewing with just those teeth, the crowns are worn right down to nothing, everything gets stuck in them, I eat and it's straight to the bathroom to pick out the food.

I hope it all goes well with your realignment and you don't have to start over with the endless appointments. Dentures (full & partial) 820607
tara
tara

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:51 pm

Well I do have the front, bridges (permanent) on both top and bottom... but it's very difficult to chew with no molars!

The upside of 7 weeks of soup is that I lost almost 8 lbs... and that's a good thing, because now the clothes that were fitting me a year ago and then somehow quit fitting, are now fitting again - loosely cheers
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:45 pm

Yeah I would imagine it would be. Great diet though.... almost has me thinking too bad I still have them two molars, I might fit back in pre baby jeans by now, lol. Seriously though I think keeping them is a bad idea... somehow I just know I will get the valplast thingy and THEN 2 months later I'll need those teeth yanked. The one I'm getting they said they can not add more teeth too, I'll have to start over. He keeps assuring me those two are fine but they said the same thing about the last one they yanked three months ago. In fact I was set up to start the molding and at that appointment he goes I really think this one should go too. I was pi$$ed since they said I could keep it two months earlier when I had the last two pulled. I shoudl already have a mouthful of teeth by now Mad
tara
tara

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:45 pm

See... Dentists.. Doctors... veterinarians.... know so much less than we give them credit for..

I have worked for a variety of dental practices, optometric practices, opthalmology practices, a vet... as a tech, front desk or management..
I learned one thing..

distrust

They did suggest to me that I retain two teeth.. one a molar another... on the other side...both have had root canals...one is one of those that have recurring infections... I almost went along.. then when I asked questions.. about what if.. they said well maybe its a bad idea since they bothe blah blah blah

so now they say that I have no choce..

make upi your mind!

WEll... I made up mine

soup eh?

I hate canned soup... lipton in a package with some ketchup added... lol

scary stuff this...

I am so sorry for you youg girls who are dealing with the problems..
more nightmares last night..... doozies, too!

affraid
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:17 pm

tara wrote:Yeah I would imagine it would be. Great diet though.... almost has me thinking too bad I still have them two molars, I might fit back in pre baby jeans by now, lol. Seriously though I think keeping them is a bad idea... somehow I just know I will get the valplast thingy and THEN 2 months later I'll need those teeth yanked. The one I'm getting they said they can not add more teeth too, I'll have to start over. He keeps assuring me those two are fine but they said the same thing about the last one they yanked three months ago. In fact I was set up to start the molding and at that appointment he goes I really think this one should go too. I was pi$$ed since they said I could keep it two months earlier when I had the last two pulled. I shoudl already have a mouthful of teeth by now Mad

I don't know why your dentist is telling you can't add teeth down the road to the Valplast partials, but I think it's bull. My doc has assured me they can, and that's why he kept 3 of my naturals (2 crowned.. eye teeth if you will).

Now when I started this whole process back in Nov. I went to a place called Affordable Dentures (a supermarket of dentists so to speak). That place took X-rays then the doc talked with me after looking at the film and my mouth. He said I didn't need dentures (I was thinking full or partials at that time). He said "Oh now, you've got some good teeth... he was talking about 3 in particular, a root canal and 2 crowns. I could taste bad things... but he didn't seem interested. He went on to say I was a candidate for tooth implants, or more bridges. H@ll no! I wasn't for the most expensive and the least effective way to go, but the best long term. I did check out implants, and with my history, I definitely was not a candidate for it, way too much bone lose. I think the first dentist I saw should have his license revoked.

The dentist I'm working with now took a look at those teeth, probed, and said, "you've got a couple of abssesed teeth there that need to come out." Of course I asked if I had those, why didn't I have tooth aches, swollen face, etc, all the things I've heard from people with abssesed teeth. He said because of the crowns, they have a portal to ouze out of rather than inwards into your jaw. That made sense. And this is something a dentist told me not 3 months earlier that they were fine?

I would think your dentist should take out those two molars. I've learned with the partials, a tooth on either side is good as they act as anchors to hold the partial, but if those two are on the same side, well I can't see how much good they'd do.

I definitely would question your dentist a lot more before letting him proceed, or paying for the work.

Oh course all of the above is just my opinion, and as you know, I'm not a dentist, but with all the questions I've asked and having gone to two dentists and getting two totally different opinions, I say "let the patient beware"

I just wish the best for you Tara... it's a long, and expensive investment, but it's something you also want to last for a long time, and now have to have new dentures made 5 years down the road... ask, ask, ask until you feel confident.
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:23 pm

For anyone contemplating partials or dentures, check out this site... I found it while doing research for what I wanted and eventually had done

http://www.doctorspiller.com/partial_dentures.htm

and if you look at it all (one long page), you'll have an idea of what my paritials look like as there is a good shot of the valplast model
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:28 pm

kath wrote:

They did suggest to me that I retain two teeth.. one a molar another... on the other side...both have had root canals...one is one of those that have recurring infections... I almost went along.. then when I asked questions.. about what if.. they said well maybe its a bad idea since they bothe blah blah blah

so now they say that I have no choce..

I hate canned soup... lipton in a package with some ketchup added... lol

scary stuff this...

I am so sorry for you youg girls who are dealing with the problems..
more nightmares last night..... doozies, too!

affraid

Canned soup? Well except for tomato, I don't like any canned soups. And I didn't think I could deal with that for 7 weeks.... not hearty or filling.

So I started making potato soup, real easy recipe. Then I got adventurous and would add carrot to the basic potato (blending all), then I got really creative and would buy a small container of chilli from my favorite fast food place, mix that with the potato soup, put in the blender and whip it to cream... I know it sounds boring, but I had that almost every night and grew to love it. In fact, when I hosted bunco a couple of weeks ago, I made potato chili soup and it was a hit!

Oh and Kath, I'm not one of those "young" gals going thru this, trust me on that. But I agree with you, for anyone under 50 to have to make the transformation is unfortunate. But sounds like many out there who, like me, didn't get the right genes or didn't get the discipline as a youngster to brush and floss. And going to a dentist as a child? Well only if you had a toothache, bad cavity, or a broken tooth! Never went for a cleaning until I was employed and had insurance.
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:30 pm

Last dental post from me (well for tonight Very Happy ).... I did get my partials back late this afternoon. Boy, they feel good. Tops/Bottoms click on both sides. But I still had potato chili soup for supper lol! and ham spread on Saltine crackers...

Now I go back to see doc on Thurs morning, as he assured me, I will probably need another adjustment (sure glad I'm not having to shell out each time I go over there... all these adjustments were built into the price)
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:33 pm

wow! those look a lot different from the partial that I used to have?!?!

that is another ugly story

Sad
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:54 pm

thanks for the info Dee. I'll be bringing it up Monday... the why he says we can't add more teeth later, I went to the actual ValPlast site and they say they can. That is good to know though I am not in any hurry to have any more extracted. It makes me sick... well the Novocaine does, and the vomiting that inevitably comes with it leads to a dry socket EVERY single time. I almost think I would rather not be numbed to have it yanked than to deal with the dry socket later, lol. I imagine it would only hurt while they yanked and maybe a few minutes after... dry sockets kill for days, makes it really hard to care for my kids. So if you don't mind me asking what do you clean them with? do you buy the ValPlast brand cleaner that the site say is the only thing you can use? That has me a bit worried, lol, I am beyond broke at this point, I'm charging the denture (so I can pay interest and spend forever trying to get out form underneath it, lol) I don't know that I can swing paying for more expensive cleaner that I have to pay to have shipped too.
tara
tara

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:00 pm

tara wrote:So if you don't mind me asking what do you clean them with? do you buy the ValPlast brand cleaner that the site say is the only thing you can use? That has me a bit worried, lol, I am beyond broke at this point, I'm charging the denture (so I can pay interest and spend forever trying to get out form underneath it, lol) I don't know that I can swing paying for more expensive cleaner that I have to pay to have shipped too.

Okay one more peek before I leave the room. I use toothpaste, Colgate. I asked my dentist if I need to buy the special cleaner Valplast swears you must use... and he said no. He's been using the Valplast for several years and said he's never had a problem with patients using regular toothpaste... not denture cleaners, those I understand are more abrasive or something.

I lucked out with no dry sockets (had read and heard about the nightmere)... I just kept the guaze packed in, changed as needed, didn't suck thru a straw for a few days, didn't swoosh mouthwash or water... I'm sorry that they have plagued you... really.
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:03 am

Dee.... I missed your post last night, somehow..

You know... I make a pot of soup almost every week during the winter..
all sorts of soup

but as much as I love potato soup, I have never made a good pot of it

I basically gave up a couple of years ago...

if you have any tips, I would be happy to hear about them!!!

I make tortilla soup, vegie soup, beef soup, chicken soup....
but potato?
help!

scratch
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next