Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I have a build-up of Paperback Swap credits...

3 posters

Go down

I have a build-up of Paperback Swap credits... Empty I have a build-up of Paperback Swap credits...

Post by Lori Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:48 pm

...so I need some suggestions. Has anyone read the Hunger Games series? I actually considered buying those. Oh, I guess I can look for some Stephanie Plums that have hit paperback recently. Any suggestions, especially for a series?
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

I have a build-up of Paperback Swap credits... Empty Re: I have a build-up of Paperback Swap credits...

Post by 2BzzOrNot2Bzz Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:19 pm

I really enjoyed the Hunger Games... It's sad, haunting at times, but quick read!

I've gotten quite a bit of Jodi Piccoult in my library. To me, her books are always so intense. I can only handle reading 1 a quarter.

2BzzOrNot2Bzz
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 567
Honeycomb : Doomed in Level 6...
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

I have a build-up of Paperback Swap credits... Empty Re: I have a build-up of Paperback Swap credits...

Post by Lori Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:41 pm

I just read The Last Child by John Hart and really enjoyed it, so I ordered 2 more of his books from PBSwap...The King of Lies and Down River. I still haven't acted on The Hunger Games.
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyssa Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:40 am

The Alex McKnight series by Steve Hamilton is good, if you like detective/murder stuff.

Start with "A Cold Day in Paradise" and work from there, in order. I think PBS has the series number with the titles, so you shouldn't have a problem figuring out which comes next.

I really, really like the Dame Frevisse series by Margaret Frazer, set in 15th century England. Good historical murder mysteries with a lot of "feel" of the times.

Mostly I've been getting non-fiction from PBS lately and up until a couple of weeks ago had a nice number of credits banked. Then *BOOM* a gaggle of my Wish List books came up one after another, so now I'm credit-poor again. lol

Nyssa

Number of posts : 525
Honeycomb : Just entering the Black Hole
Registration date : 2008-06-17

http://nyssa.cnc.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:53 am

Nyssa, I'm all up to date on the Alex McKnight series. I'm a Michigander who's spent way too much time in the U.P. shuttling kids to hockey games, so it's cool to be able to picture where all the action is taking place.

I'll definitely look for the Dame Frevisse series. Historical fiction is probably my favorite. I'm rereading Doomsday Book (Connie Willis) right now. It's not for everyone - it combines time travel with historical fiction, but it's one of my favorites. It's great to read at Christmas time.
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:03 am

Nyssa, should I start with the Sister Frevisse books? Does she go from Sister to Dame at some point?
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:28 am

Cripes, I meant Game of Thrones, not The Hunger Games. I have an Overstock GC and they have the boxed set for around $20. Has anyone read the series?
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:28 am

Cripes, I meant Game of Thrones, not The Hunger Games. I have an Overstock GC and they have the boxed set for around $20. Has anyone read the series?
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyssa Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:17 pm

Lori, Frevisse starts out the series as Dame. The PBS and Amazon lists of the books have the terminology wrong, but the order of the books is correct.

It seems that Dame was the correct form of address for nuns past a certain age back in the middle ages, according to the research.

These books are terrific for curling up on a snowy, cold, or foggy winter night with a blanket and a cup of cocoa. Just the kind of weather you're getting up there these days. (And I don't miss 'em a bit!) Smile

Nyssa

Number of posts : 525
Honeycomb : Just entering the Black Hole
Registration date : 2008-06-17

http://nyssa.cnc.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down