Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Share one of your favorite books

+16
Jezzelle
bakerlady
Muggins
BeachyBum
sati769leigh
shadyhillslane
amybeccaz
idatater46
Scar
manny1968
Lucky
Missy
Starrlyte
thebigscott
Rebecca1340
kath
20 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Share one of your favorite books - Page 3 Empty Re: Share one of your favorite books

Post by kath Sat May 24, 2008 4:14 pm

I loaned Time Travelers Wife to my sister right after I finished it..
she has not read it yet..... it has been ages, and I want it back!!!

My daughter sent me The Glass Castle..... I tried to avoid it.. sigh..
so sad.
kath
kath
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 1338
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://mckaitsbooks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Share one of your favorite books - Page 3 Empty Re: Share one of your favorite books

Post by shadyhillslane Sat May 24, 2008 4:24 pm

You know, I tried to avoid it too and it mostly is not sad. I thought that I would hate it and it became a favorite (we read it for book club and I lobbied against it - lol) It is a story of triumph and great success despite circumstance.
shadyhillslane
shadyhillslane
Worker Bee
Worker Bee

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2008-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Sat May 24, 2008 5:31 pm

I lobbied against it - lol)

lol!
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by amybeccaz Sat May 24, 2008 10:09 pm

Dang it... went back to the thrift store today, and it was gone. UGH!
amybeccaz
amybeccaz
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2008-04-12

http://www.twocuteblondies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky Sat May 24, 2008 10:37 pm

Have you tried shopping on Amazon used books, or Alibris.com?
Lucky
Lucky

Number of posts : 1488
Honeycomb : 6 infinity
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by amybeccaz Sun May 25, 2008 8:07 am

Yeah, I've done the Amazon route. I've got so many books stacked up to read though, and I live in a fantastic area for garage sales, so I might end up finding it at a garage sale soon. LOL
amybeccaz
amybeccaz

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2008-04-12

http://www.twocuteblondies.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sati769leigh Mon May 26, 2008 5:51 pm

i love a book called Sati by christopher pike the main characters whole life is changed by meeting Sati and it is a short but incredible story,

also
steinbecks east of eden if a favorite of mine
stone god awakens by philip jose farmer
ringworld series by niven
i could go on and on
sati769leigh
sati769leigh
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 293
Honeycomb : sati769leigh@hotmail.com
Registration date : 2008-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post by BeachyBum Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:59 pm

Running With Scissors

by Augusten Borroughs

From a book review:

''I would have been an excellent member of the Brady Bunch,'' he writes. ''[I] would have cautioned Jan against that tacky bracelet that caused the girls to lose the house-of-cards-building contest.'' Instead of a TV-perfect family, Burroughs is stuck with a drunk math professor for a father who hides in the basement from his crazy mother. ''Not crazy in a 'let's paint the kitchen bright red!' sort of way. But crazy in a 'gas oven, toothpaste sandwich, I am God' sort of way.'' The parents divorce. The father hightails it, and the mother, a frustrated poet obsessed with her sense of oppression, comes under the care of Dr. Finch (names were changed), a psychiatrist who calls his back office the Masturbatorium. With a couple of quick signatures, Burroughs' mom relinquishes guardianship of him, and he moves into the western Massachusetts home of Finch, his wife, Agnes, their two daughters, Freud the cat, and Joranne, a patient who admires William Blake and eats the sink caulking.
BeachyBum
BeachyBum

Number of posts : 791
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~ 2 Golden Keys ~ Bzzing since 2003
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Scar Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:10 pm

Everything Augusten Borroughs writes is fantastic.
He's funny as hell in a morbid way.
Scar
Scar

Number of posts : 1135
Honeycomb : Honey-Freaking-Bee-Finally!
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by BeachyBum Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:19 pm

I agree Scar!

I've read all of his books .... what a life that poor guy had.

David Sedaris is good too ....for some reason I'm attracted to books written by people with some brain chemistry issues. lol

They have to be funny though, I can't read any of those horror psycho reads.
BeachyBum
BeachyBum

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:20 am

Cannot stand Augusten Borroughs... hated Running With Scissors... tongue
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by BeachyBum Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:29 am

LOL Kath! Yes, I suppose he isn't for everyone! Share one of your favorite books - Page 3 393567

I am fascinated by people minds and thoughts though, do you think that it's too late to go back to school ? lol I'm thinking now that I would have enjoyed being a psychologist, but I'm near 40 and I just don't think I can fathom it now. lol
BeachyBum
BeachyBum

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:42 am

Too negative. I rarely read anything negative.. have to keep my energy as clean as I can and some of that negativity sticks.. you know? Share one of your favorite books - Page 3 Unreal

Cleansing is fine, but better to not get it all over you in the first place.. LOL

just a personal preference and a personal view onwhat isnegative and what is not.. which, of course is often different..

Share one of your favorite books - Page 3 102
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by Scar Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:02 am

BeachyBum wrote:I agree Scar!
David Sedaris is good too ....for some reason I'm attracted to books written by people with some brain chemistry issues. lol
Dave Sedaris is another favorite of mine!
Scar
Scar

Number of posts : 1135
Honeycomb : Honey-Freaking-Bee-Finally!
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:36 pm

Don't like Sedaris either.. LOL

also

Hated

God of Animals
Middlesex

and a few others that were popular..
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by BeachyBum Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:43 pm

Ooooh Kath, maybe I should check those out. lol

Proof positive WOM doesn't always have to be positive. lol

Happy reading Smile
BeachyBum
BeachyBum

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:22 am

LOL BB, maybe you should...

you should also check out LibraryThing... I triple love that site.. it is for book lovers .. sounds like you qualify Share one of your favorite books - Page 3 765670
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by Muggins Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:03 pm

As far as historical romance (which I rarely read nowadays) goes, two Kathleen E. Woodiwiss books immediately come to mind .......... The Flame and The Flower and The Wolf and The Dove, these are in my opinion her best books. I've got her last book, Everlasting, here to read when I'm on holiday over the summer ..... quite looking forward to being able to devote myself to it completely as sadly there won't be anymore books from this author as she died in July of last year (unless she had any unpublished manuscripts that may come to light later).

There is also the Angelique series of books written by Sergeanne Golon ........ are any of you familiar with these? This series of books begins in France during the reign of Louis XIV in the 17th century.

Here is a link to a website that will give you an idea as to who/what the Angelique books are about http://www.rianas-realms.com/angelique.html - I hope it is okay to post this link, if not Mods please feel free to remove it!
Muggins
Muggins
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 249
Honeycomb : Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:26 pm

Kathleen E. Woodiwiss.....Read them both....it has been a while though
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by bakerlady Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:29 pm

Chuck Palahniuk. Provided he wasnt batting for another team, I would totally have his morbid little babies. (there is actually a more perfect line i should have used there to quote the author.. but i wouldnt wanna offend anyone.)

Survivor is my fav

Last edited by bakerlady on Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

bakerlady
Bzzing
Bzzing

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Jezzelle Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:02 pm

Lot of interesting fiction selections posted here, so I thought I'd throw in one of my favorite nonfiction ones:

Hollywood Babylon (this is also my bzzagent name, lol)

It's by Kenneth Anger and is a history of old Hollywood tragedy and smut from pre-talkies into the 60's. The author writes in a somewhat meanspirited way, so it's not an uplifting read but definately a great one.
Jezzelle
Jezzelle
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharon Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:23 am

My fav book of all time is IT by Stephen King--also loved Watchers by Dean Koontz-also a big fan of John Saul --and of course Harry Potter--
Sharon
Sharon
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 319
Honeycomb : level 6 -1 gold keys
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyssa Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:37 pm

Ah, the Angelique series brings back memories. I read them ages ago on a recommendation from a friend. I've still got them somewhere in my archives. Has there been a more recent release? The last one I remember was written by Anne after her husband, Serge, passed away and had Angelique in New France/Maine. Maybe I'll root around in the attic and try to find them all for possible winter re-reading.

Meanwhile, I'd like to add a contender of my own. Not romance, not historical, but more of a near-future SFish genre and very meaningful in light of the current political, economic, and other world crises.

_The General's President_ by John Dalmas.

This book, to me, is a comfort book. I've re-read it a couple of times over the years when I need a dose of "feel good."

Don't let the title fool you into thinking coup or overthrow of government. The general in question is a minor character who happens to recommend a non-politician businessman he is acquainted with to be elected to the vice presidency by the House of Representatives as a substitute at a time of scandal similar to what happened to Spiro Agnew. (For those of you too young to remember, Agnew was Richard Nixon's VP and had to resign under a cloud of scandal and alleged corruption dating back to his time as governor of Maryland.)

I won't give the plot away, but the man appointed ends up president and turns out to be the best thing for the country since sliced bread and peanut butter for a very unusual and unexpected reason.

It may be difficult to find (check out used book stores), but it is definitely worth the effort.

Nyssa

Number of posts : 525
Honeycomb : Just entering the Black Hole
Registration date : 2008-06-17

http://nyssa.cnc.net

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:12 am

One of my comfort reads is The Mists of Avalon. I have read it at least a dozen times over the years. I have given it as a gift and shared it with friends. I am about to participate in an online group read if it next month.
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by idatater46 Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:33 pm

i just picked up a new novel by the same author of the Twilight Series. Has anyone read this one? Its not a vampire one- hope its as amazing as the Twilight series, but I have my doubt.
idatater46
idatater46

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next