Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pica?

+5
Lori
chelle
KellyM
tara
thebigscott
9 posters

Go down

Pica? Empty Pica?

Post by thebigscott Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:39 pm

I seem to remember we had a thread that mentioned Pica, but I can't remember the details. It's when someone eats non-food things. Quinn has it and I was wondering what you guys know. He's had his iron tested since it's often caused by anemia. That was fine, as were his lead levels. And if he was much younger they wouldn't even consider it Pica so he may outgrow it. But he eats the oddest things. He's about a third of the way thru an oak bar on his crip that's about an inch and a half in diameter. And he eats pom-poms and cotton balls every chance he gets. The odd thing is that he eats them, but he doesn't like them. He grimaces and fusses like I'm about to give him medicine then pops them in his mouth and swallows. Of course I try to keep him away from them, but if he finds them he eats them before I can cross the room to take it away. He also eats books, especially the covers of hardback books and board books.
thebigscott
thebigscott
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Pica? Empty Re: Pica?

Post by tara Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:04 pm

Rylan does the same thing... kinda. He only sucks on the stuff but doesn't actually swallow it, except for paper. The boy eats books, paper, COUPONS (grr), I never thought much of it. He also doesn't like most of it, makes nasty faces, spits it out and then grabs another and sticks it in his mouth.He is constantly throwing handfuls of dirt in his mouth to spit it out disgusted, just to shove in another handful, I don't know if he thinks if he uses the other hand it will taste better or what. Rolling Eyes

Saige runs into doorknobs and bites her fingers alot when she is eating, just seems to forget to remove them before chomping down.

I swear this stuff comes from their father.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:24 pm

It's not considered Pica until they're two or older. Quinn actually swallows. The main risks are poisoning, particularly lead poisining, and of course bowel obstructions or perforations. I'm not too worried about that stuff because he usually spits out the harder stuff. But he eats a lot of things he shouldn't.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:35 pm

Karen, I believe the conversation you are talking about was an old post where 59perley mentioned Pica... though I can't remember much of what was said, I think someone not sure if it was perley or not mentioned about eating chalk and dirt....

Wish I knew more about it, but I dont, I do remember a boy in my elementary class when I was little that used to eat everything, from paste to rubber cement, erasers, pencils, paper...I always used to wonder how he could eat all that stuff and live...
KellyM
KellyM

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:21 pm

I think it was Lori who said she liked to eat strange things Wink
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:45 pm

I never knew it had a name. When Matt did it we called it 'teched' He used to eat dirt and sand like it was going out of style.

He also earned the nicknae 'hoover' for a reason. Honestly it was years before he stopped. I just knew that he was 'needing' something. a mineral. a viatmin ... something. So I didnt just go balistic.

I guess he really started to grow out of it, when I started givin him like 2 or more ensures a day. And even then it was a while before he quit with the dirt an such.

So it might have just been a coinincidence.
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:52 am

They do say it has a lot to do with missing minerals and vitamins or low iron. That's why I had them test Quinn for low iron. And I'm starting him on vitamins just to be sure. But I worry that he'll eat something really bad for him. Like a table.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:31 am

tara wrote:I think it was Lori who said she liked to eat strange things Wink
Not strange things, just dirt. And occasionally paper. I don't eat dirt anymore, but I still love the smell of it. I still catch myself eating sucker sticks - the paper ones. DH or one of the kids will tell me to knock it off if they see me, though. Paper is currently my only vice, and it's just sucker sticks.
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:18 am

I hope you won't get upset at me for mentioning this, but pica is often a sign of autism or PDD-NOS. I was right about the baby that was living here being autistic, even though almost everyone here said not to worry that he wasn't talking etc. You say he talks very little and I have also seen some other comments that raised red flags for me. It is so prevalent in boys these days too. I think it is more than 1 in 150 now. Here is small article that talks about pica:
http://kidshealth.org/parent/emotions/behavior/pica.html
Honey
Honey

Number of posts : 1859
Honeycomb : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:33 am

One of my Nieces will suck the juice out of baby wipes. You have to keep them out of her reach, or she will suck a whole pack dry in no time.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Honey Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:33 am

Actually now that I think about, you some posted some very helpful links for me Karen. ASD really covers a broad spectrum of issues, so I just wanted to be sure to mention it for your consideration.
Honey
Honey

Number of posts : 1859
Honeycomb : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:38 am

Erin. Matt used to do that. and Bow does it now. LOVES them.

I cant even stand the smell. LOL

I dont know about the autisim link. Matt didnt talk till he was over 3. and ate everything that wasnt nailed down, unless he could chew it off the nail (he used to 'crib' on the barn wood just like the horses... and get PISSED when you wouldnt let him-- and ate goat and horse feed like it was going out of style. he was always getting into it. ) Heck, yesterday I caught him eating chicken feed 'just to see what it tasted like' and he is 9.

and he has no learning disabilities, or such.
He is just a bubble off plumb. LOL
Seriously, it was a deficaincy I think. He needed 'something' and no amount of vitamins or minerals added to his diet satisfied his cravings.
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:49 am

Thanks, Honey. I am not the least offended at your concern for him. So far he doesn't have signs of autism. He talks some, he just sings more. He's very sociable, loving, comes for hugs and kisses, responds to his name, plays with kids, etc. He used to really like to put things away, but lately he likes making messes more. I think the putting things away was/is mostly because he likes feeling helpful, plus he likes room to run and jump. He does like order more than my other kids, but he's not upset by the lack of it. The only exception to that is when there's just one thing out, then he feels like it has to be put away. I'm that way, too. I can take a huge mess more than I can a very orderly room with one thing out of place. There's no way I could walk away from a puzzle with just one piece left sitting beside it. I would have to put it in.

Lori, I used to eat the lollipop sticks too. I also eat the wax out of the rim of wax coated paper cups. I suppose that means Quinn got this from me, although he's much more intent on doing it than I am.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:48 pm

Bay ate the bars of her crib, not just chewing on them, it looked like we had caged a bear in it. She also eats wax, especially loves those little wax soda bottle candies, but she dumps the liquid and actually eats the wax.

Kristin used to eat anything and everything, dog food, cat food, had to taste everything from paint to soap......kids are just odd creatures in my opinion.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:50 pm

hmmm, maybe thats why mine 'cribbed' at the barn... They were never put in a real baby crib.
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by razorstar Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:28 pm

AyDen is doing that now... chewing on everything in sight. paper, wood, the cat... whatever.. but i figure he's just trying to push his teeth through... he's 8 months now and still only has the 2 teeth he was born with
razorstar
razorstar
Worker Bee
Worker Bee

Number of posts : 137
Honeycomb : going nowhere fast
Registration date : 2008-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucky Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:10 pm

Yes, Pearly and I were talking about women eating mud pies years ago. She remembers it happening where women ate cornstarch Argo specifically. I didn't know anything about it before then though. She might be able to give more insight.
Lucky
Lucky

Number of posts : 1488
Honeycomb : 6 infinity
Registration date : 2008-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:49 pm

razorstar wrote:AyDen is doing that now... chewing on everything in sight. paper, wood, the cat... whatever.. but i figure he's just trying to push his teeth through... he's 8 months now and still only has the 2 teeth he was born with

That's normal for his age. Quinn is 2 and a half. I'll have to take a pic of his crib and post it. It DOES look like we've housed an animal in there instead of a kid.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content