Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This wasn't expected.

+4
trax
thebigscott
edbson
aurora04
8 posters

Go down

This wasn't expected. Empty This wasn't expected.

Post by aurora04 Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:19 pm

Zach had been battling another fever for just over 24 hours when he started spiking fevers up to 104. DH was celebrating St. Patty's Day at that point, so my SIL came and picked us up to go to the ER to get checked out (he had said his ear hurt the day before and was holding it today). Well I had a few red sore patches on my back and upper leg so since I had to wait at the ER anyway with Zach, I decided to get checked out (I couldn't get in to see my doctor for another week, and it was quite painful by this point). Well she checked Zach first, and there is no ear or throat infection. There is just a viral infection going around, so we just have to let it run it's course. She did say that she could give an antibiotic, but since it was viral it won't work (of course I agreed, and told her I didn't want any antibiotics for him). She then checked me out. One look at my back, she said it looks like shingles, but she needed to check the one on my leg. She looked and said it was shingles for sure. She asked how long I had it for, and when I told her about a week, she again said that she could give me pills, but they won't work since it was past the 72 hour window (not sure why she kept offering meds when they wouldn't work) so I would just have to suffer through it anyway. Today has not been a fun day! I dealt with the pain for a week, and finally today took some advil. OMG once the Advil kicked in I was so freaking itchy!!

This is so not a good time (well not like there is ever a good time to get sick), but I have one unemployment cheque left (will get that on Wednesday I think) and I'm not supposed to work until the rash is gone (not that I had a job, but it puts a damper on the job search) since I'm still highly contagious apparently (I didn't think I was contagious once I broke out, but the doctor said I was still highly contagious).

I am supposed to be getting a lot of rest and sleep. Yeah, not happening when I have to give Zach meds (alternating Motrin and Tylenol) every 3 hour during the day and night.
aurora04
aurora04
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 766
Honeycomb : Level 6, Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

This wasn't expected. Empty Re: This wasn't expected.

Post by edbson Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:27 pm

Shingles lasts about a week, so you should be on the good side of it, 3-4 weeks from start to totally done and healed all up.... The blisters work the same way as the pox, and once they are scabbed you are not contagious. I had the pox when i was 29, when Bnut had them, then got shingles the next year, it sucked, but my Dr gave me Valtrex....dh still picks on me about the Valtrex.

I do know they say you cannot get shingles if you have had the pox, but I have had the pox, and I had shingles. Bnut had the pox 3 times already.....dr's don't have a clue
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:27 pm

This wasn't expected. 820607 Sorry. It sucks to be sick and sucks worse when you're sick while your kids are sick. I've never had them so I have no real advice. But good luck. Here are some flowers for you. flower flower flower flower flower flower
thebigscott
thebigscott
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by aurora04 Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:31 pm

Thanks! I heard they could last 2-6 weeks. I'm hoping for the 2 week mark since I've already had them for a week. At least since I have to deal with a sick Zach, Mommy mode kicks in and the pain, itchiness and just over all misery, stays away until I get a chance to sit down and relax. Then I just don't want to get up again. LOL.
aurora04
aurora04

Back to top Go down

Post by trax Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:32 pm

Sucks big time to have shingles. Hope you and your family are feeling better soon.

I like those flowers tbs sent for you, so I am going to send you some too. flower flower flower flower
trax
trax

Number of posts : 1470
Honeycomb : In Hold Mode - Level 6
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:02 pm

Bummer! My sister is just getting over shingles now and she said it was awful! The spots were on her back so I guess her clothes even hurt her! She had chicken pox as a kid, but she only had about 6 spots so I guess they figured that's why she got shingles when she was exposed. My MIL had a bad case of shingles that took months to heal. Hopefully your's aren't that bad!
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss

http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:05 pm

Oh no Dawn, shingles are awful. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:30 pm

I am so sorry!
They say (I dont know who they are, but I listen to them) that if you get a tiny dose of pox, you will get shingles. OR if you get pox late in life. ???
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:31 am

My Grandma had a terrible time with shingles. Don't they come on with stress?
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by aurora04 Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:21 am

They can come one with stress and weakened immune system. I have a horrible chest cold as well, plus the stress of not having a job and unemployment running out. I'm trying not to stress about that, because apparently they can worse the more you stress.

I had chicken pox as a kid, but I don't remember if it was a mild case or not. I know I was plenty itchy and missed quite a bit of school.

I'm miserable today tho. I'm supposed to be resting and sleeping, and I was up most of the night taking care of Zach (fever spiked fast and made him throw up everywhere). I am so hoping he gets better soon, so I can get better!
aurora04
aurora04

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:40 pm

Do you have family close by that could maybe watch him for a while so you could take a long nap? I hate that his being sick is making your shingles worse.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by aurora04 Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:38 pm

We have family around, but my mother works full time, my sister has never had chicken pox so she can't come out, and my inlaws are "Grandparents, not babysitters". Plus with Zach being sick, he only wants me. I really don't trust anyone but me to keep Zach medicated with Tylenol and Motrin like they should. Last time my inlaws had Zach when he needed fever meds, they just gave him the meds whenever they thought he needed them, not when the schedule said so. It didn't matter if it was an hour too early. We had to take him back to the doctor and he has tonsilitis (sp??), so I'm going to have to deal with the high fever until the antibiotics start working.

Hopefully I will get some rest soon tho.
aurora04
aurora04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum