Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ack! I got a speeding ticket!

+8
Lori
Missy
chelle
edbson
tara
Rebecca1340
mrschia
thebigscott
12 posters

Go down

Ack!  I got a speeding ticket! Empty Ack! I got a speeding ticket!

Post by thebigscott Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:19 pm

And I have no idea how much it's gonna cost. The police officer said that the sheets that had the cost were way out of date and didn't even bother giving me one. So I have to wait until tomorrow to call and see how much of a pain it's gonna be. I was speeding. I was going 52 in a 35. But it was out on this road that is a straightaway, no houses or businesses, no traffic, and wider than the state highways that are 55 mph limits. I was trying to get Zaven to music practice on time. But I got caught and got a ticket. Oh well. I haven't had one in over 5 years, and before that it was 5 more. And if the ticket is high, I'll go to court and request traffic school. That's what I've always done and usually they don't even make me pay the ticket or court costs or anything. I'm gonna ask a friend of Scott's mom who's a lawyer. She'll know the best way to go about paying the least possible. And heck, even if I have to pay the whole thing I'll get over it. I WAS speeding. But man that was stupid of me.
thebigscott
thebigscott
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Ack!  I got a speeding ticket! Empty Re: Ack! I got a speeding ticket!

Post by mrschia Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:31 pm

I am so sorry. Any chance you could go to traffic safety school? My part time job is to work night court and sign people of for these classes etc.. I work for probation and parole. I know some courts allow you to take it online as well.

It will save you the 2 points and it will stay off your record so your insurance won't go up.

You do not need an attorney to do this, but if you have a friend that is great, just call the court or go to court and ask the judge. Each state/city is different and some only let you take this class one time.

Let me know if I can help in anyway.
mrschia
mrschia
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 670
Honeycomb : Level 6~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:40 pm

I haven't had one in ages -- I'm sure my turn's coming though!
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss

http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:08 pm

Thanks, Mrschia. That's what I'm hoping to do. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by tara Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:46 pm

Crappy. I am overdue, knock on wood. Robby got one a while back but we got it dropped because the trooper messed up his am/pm on the paperwork and I put up a stink.

Good luck
tara
tara

Number of posts : 6833

http://www.mythirtyone.com/taras/

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:31 pm

Take defensive driving, I do every year fr my tickets. Blockbuster has one you take at home, in your jammies at 2 am if you want....
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:26 pm

I got a ticket the other day, expired tags and inspection sticker. noone asked me if I wanted to go to court. I just walked in and they said "280.00, will that be cash or charge?"

Last time I got that same ticket (15 years ago, ) it was 23.00. LOL

ANd I feel for you Karen. I pray I dont get caught. They told me when i bought the truck that it has issues with the turbo rusting up, and the only way to keep it from doing it, is to drive it like I stole it.

So I do.
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:48 pm

Thats the reason I average a ticket every year or so Chelle, I have Speed issues.
edbson
edbson

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:58 am

Well, they want $177 and I can request traffic school when I pay to avoid it being reported to my insurance. I'm still considering going to court on the off chance the judge will dismiss it since it's been years and years since I had one. I don't think they do the defensive driving thing in Kentucky. I'll check, though.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:23 pm

I last got a ticket almost 4 years ago, so I guess I will be due when we get a new car. lol Tim got one about 2 years ago, but we had forgotten about it, and it had even gotten lost in the system to the point where I think it was dismissed. We knew he had a ticket, but no one could tell us exactly when and for what, so that was squashed.

Good luck with everything and hope it all works in your favor!
Missy
Missy

Number of posts : 2031
Honeycomb : Level 6- The Abyss
Registration date : 2008-04-25

http://www.cafemom.com/home/missmissy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:28 pm

$177?
WOW! That seems really steep to me. My last ticket (my ONLY ticket) was about 13 years ago and I think it was $60-$70.
Lori
Lori

Number of posts : 8682
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee, Level 6
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by trax Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:19 pm

Some years back, I was stopped by the police in a speed trap. I was coming home from the dentist. I could not speak, my mouth and all was swollen. I took the ticket, went home and rested. When I later looked at the ticket it was made out to a 'male' - a Mr.

I took it to court and won. The judge told the young rookie RCMP officer - look lad, if you cannot tell the difference between a man and a woman - we are in trouble - case dismissed!
trax
trax

Number of posts : 1470
Honeycomb : In Hold Mode - Level 6
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:48 pm

You lucked out that day, trax!

I've lucked out by being stopped for not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign. This happened two times, years apart, in different places, but the one thing these stops had in common was that I was guilty of not coming to a complete stop. I went with a more rolling stop, because both were at places where I was at the top of a hill and was turning right, and I could see forever and see that there were no cars around. Both times, while the cop was inspecting my paperwork he got called away on a more important event. Phew!
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Ack!  I got a speeding ticket! Empty Speeding Ticket

Post by wtr27513 Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:15 am

thebigscott wrote:And I have no idea how much it's gonna cost. The police officer said that the sheets that had the cost were way out of date and didn't even bother giving me one. So I have to wait until tomorrow to call and see how much of a pain it's gonna be. I was speeding. I was going 52 in a 35. But it was out on this road that is a straightaway, no houses or businesses, no traffic, and wider than the state highways that are 55 mph limits. I was trying to get Zaven to music practice on time. But I got caught and got a ticket. Oh well. I haven't had one in over 5 years, and before that it was 5 more. And if the ticket is high, I'll go to court and request traffic school. That's what I've always done and usually they don't even make me pay the ticket or court costs or anything. I'm gonna ask a friend of Scott's mom who's a lawyer. She'll know the best way to go about paying the least possible. And heck, even if I have to pay the whole thing I'll get over it. I WAS speeding. But man that was stupid of me.

Unfortunately before I retired as a State Trooper (nearly 10 years ago by now), I never lived or worked in Kentucky. I did work first for the Pennsylvania State Police, Massachusetts State Police, Virginia State Police and last was for the North Carolina State Police which is where I lived when my strokes started and so did my retirement!
Best of Luck!
Barbie
wtr27513
PS: Yes, I did, do and always will speed or in better sounding words...go to fast! Thats why even if I purchase a luxury model car it is always the sporty high performance model! My husband once went right through a speed trap driving my Crown Victoria undercover as well as personal car because they thought he was the chief of police of our small town who drove the identical car at the time....and my husband was flying as he and the cop waved at each other. No, I have never been stopped for speeding since I started to drive at the age of 16 and boy did I get to 59 years old FAST! No
wtr27513
wtr27513
Bzzing
Bzzing

Number of posts : 64
Honeycomb : Level 6
Registration date : 2008-04-07

http://BzzAgent.com

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:50 pm

I got one today, 82 in a 70....BUT I was in Houston and had no choice. Keep up or get run over.
edbson
edbson

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:52 pm

ack!!
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by mrschia Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:29 am

thebigscott wrote:Well, they want $177 and I can request traffic school when I pay to avoid it being reported to my insurance. I'm still considering going to court on the off chance the judge will dismiss it since it's been years and years since I had one. I don't think they do the defensive driving thing in Kentucky. I'll check, though.

So how did things turn out for you? Smile
mrschia
mrschia

Number of posts : 670
Honeycomb : Level 6~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-04-03

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:37 am

Well, I decided not to go to court and fight this. I was speeding, and even though the area I was in is safe to go fast I know it was the wrong thing to do and was my fault. So I decided to set a good example for my kids and just own up to what I'd done. The ticket was $142, and today I got the letter about traffic school. I can drive to the next town over and pay $15 (plus $5 gas to get there and back home) or I can do it online for $50. I'm probably going to cheap out on it and just go to the one in the next town. But I'm tempted to just stay home and do it online.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Lori Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:14 am

Karen, it's refreshing to hear someone admit that they made a mistake. I can't remember the last time I heard someone take ownership of something instead of making excuses. Good for you, and it's a great lesson for the kids.
Lori
Lori

Back to top Go down

Post by pinkpearsonaka Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:54 pm

I got a ticket recently for Running a Stop sign. I don't remember how much it cost, but a friend of mine told me that if you go to court and if the officer doesn't show up, then the judge will dismiss it.

So I went to court thinking that I could talk my way out of it. Took a half day off from work, had to pay $16 to park. Well the judge called me up, some officer read off the offense, and the judge didn't even give me a chance to speak. He said "Well the officer has read the offense, and I will just have to go with the officer." SO that meant that I was guilty and I had to pay court fees, it ended up being $164. The judge said that he would knock off $10 because I came to court.

I was really mad. I didn't feel that I had the opportunity to fully defend myself or anything, and it was a HUGE waste of time, not to mention parking was a nightmare.

I guess the moral of the story is don't go to court.

Also I got another ticket in October during a traffic accident (failure to yeild), I paid $65 and I get to go to a 2 hour traffic school. Lucky me.

pinkpearsonaka
Queen Bee
Queen Bee

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharon Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:57 am

For me when I got my speeding ticket court was a blessing --my ticket was $290 --went to court -and it ended up not being court just a women behind the desk --I pleaded my case and she said lets bargin i got it down to $110 --not sure if there is traffic school here in Ma - do all people have to do traffic school even though you have only had one ticket? I did not have to go to traffic school thank god.. but since that ticket I try not to speed which is hard since i am a speed deamon(sp) --
Sharon
Sharon
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 319
Honeycomb : level 6 -1 gold keys
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:19 am

Traffic school is optional, but if you go, they don't report the violation to your insurance company so your rates stay down. But there's a limit on the number of times you can go before they tell your insurance anyway.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharon Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:45 am

ahh got ya --I know here in Ma --with drunk driving you have to go to classes --if it's the 1st time --the buliding next to the salon has the classes and I always see people go there on the weeknites
Sharon
Sharon
In Need of a Life
In Need of a Life

Number of posts : 319
Honeycomb : level 6 -1 gold keys
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:13 pm

Just to let you guys know, I just got back from State Traffic School. I can't believe it took 4 months to finally get this whole thing over with.

My favorite bit of wisdom from the class instructor:

"If you go 65 in a 55 zone for 20 miles, you're siginificantly increasing your risk of death, but it will only save you 3 and a half minutes. A dog can whip a skunk. But it ain't worth it."
thebigscott
thebigscott

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:31 pm

WHEW!! I thought you had gotten another! LOL glad it was over with so quickly! LOL
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down