Unofficial Bzz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The War Of Northern Aggresion

+6
59pearly
edbson
thebigscott
chelle
bizzeedee
trax
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The War Of Northern Aggresion - Page 2 Empty Re: The War Of Northern Aggresion

Post by 59pearly Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:59 am

Soul food has its place in history along with the "northern aggression". Slaves, as you suspect were not given the best of things to sustain them. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that most slaves weren't. If you were a house slave, then you got to do things like eat leftovers, all depending on "the kindness" of your masters.

But soul food is the art of cooking the throwaway parts from slaughtered animals mixed with the African heritage way of cooking. Along with harvesting wild roots and plants from the surrounding area, we learned to survive on things that were not too well known until the "African Importation". We're not big on bear, snakes and such, though.

The above applies to slaves who were in the better environments, so to speak. Then there were the cooks who had to do the whistle walk. Since some kitchens were detached from the houses, the slave cooks had to transport the food down this walk and into the house to serve it. The whole time they were walking, they had to whistle so the master or overseer would know that they were not eating the food.

You all are laughing at me because of my tastes in food. Well, remember, I live in California and just about anything goes. We have Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Mexican, Thai, Black, White, Salvadorian, Italian, Cajun, Creole, Cuban and that is just in my part of town. Yesterday, after the concert we had Greek. Next weekend its barbecue and the week after it will probably Turkish. It's California, lol. For my uncle's birthday, we had crawfish and gumbo and that was at a Vietnamese restaurant where again they claimed one of them was from Louisiana. I don't know if it's true but hot dang those bugs were great. Not as generous as back home cause the sausage were on slivers instead of the sizeable portions we are used to. Like I said, if we use it we can buy it...

These is this fish market in my neighborhood called Louisiana Fish Market. It has been here for a long time but the first time I went there, I saw that the owners were Chinese. I laughed and said, "are you guys from Louisiana?" They said, "yes!" I said "Yeah, right." The fish is quite good and they do great business. In fact, most of the fish markets are owned by Chinese. Whatever we use we find that the Chinese will sell it to us.
59pearly
59pearly
In Need of a 12 Step Program

Number of posts : 848
Honeycomb : Level 6 Sweet Bee - Need 13 honeycombs for next key. Sigh.
Registration date : 2008-05-05

http://acommonstreetpeddler.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 59pearly Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:02 am

Hmmm, peacock sounds interesting but they are so beautiful it would be hard for me to eat it. However, I have no problem raising other fowls and serving them up. My son said he once dated a girl who decided they would cook dinner. When they went to the store he walked over to the chickens and said, "ewwww, I'm not cooking that!" He said he asked her if what form did she think raw chicken came? She just couldn't grab the concept.
59pearly
59pearly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:13 am

59pearly wrote:You all are laughing at me because of my tastes in food.

Honey, I never laugh at ANYONE for their tastes in food. I wasn't joking about eating like a kid. I could live on peanut butter (but no jelly) or cereal (dry, with a glass of milk so it doesn't get soggy). I am picky, but I wish I wasn't. It's better to have variety and enjoy more stuff. I just can't usually work up my nerve, LOL.

But I can and do cook raw chicken. I just say Ewwww and hyperventilate while I do it. Well, I used to when I first got married. Now I can cook raw chicken and pork and beef, but I don't think I'd ever be able to skin and clean it. I would if my life or someone else's depended on it, but I'm getting ill just thinking about it.
thebigscott
thebigscott
Really Not Getting Much Done Around the House

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:21 am

My grandfathers daddy was a butcher, during the depression , and before and after. The 'payment' for butcherin the meat was the less desirable parts. Hence they enjoyed the tounge, tripe, chitlins, all that.

I am kinda spoilt, I prefer the muscle. LOL

Karen, I do like Goat. LOVE goat. forgot about that. aint et no peacock. LOL I am with scott on the mayo and onions though. HATE it.

THANK YOU erin!! I wrote Jiles Perry RIchardson on the J thread, and again on the R thread. and asked if they knew who that was. Then I put Big bopper under B, Buddy Holly under H. Richie Valens, Even hinted that he didnt have a 'pretty face'. But alas there was no guessers.. LOL But I KNEW You would know too who it was Smile

Pearly, I aint so sure about Japanese, but Port Arther does have quite a few vietnamamise, They have lived there for years. I am glad that you are able to still get good downhome cookin though. Smile

I am really not into other cultures foods. Its southern, fried or I dont eat it. LOL I am just picky that way. Smile and I dont eat ANY asian foods. Got sick the one time I did and refuse to do it again. LOL I eat jaliscio (sp) mexican food, and spagetti adn lasagna.

But as far as cooking foods, I can shoot it, hang it up, gut it, skin it, cut it up, , bring it in and fry it. its just second nature. I hate doing chicken though. damn feathers are a PITA. And ringing their necks is an art. I am just glad the kids are older. NOW they get to hold the squirrels while BR skins them. Its so boring. and he never lets me SIT and hold them. I have to stand.. LOL
chelle
chelle

Number of posts : 6471
Honeycomb : the abyss with keys that dont fit any locks

http://aretheyalseepyet.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by 59pearly Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:24 am

Thebigscott, that is hilarious. And I know you aren't kidding but I don't know what to say, lol. So, do you enjoy cooking at all or avoid it whenever possible? Are you a good cook? Why do you have this aversion? I seriously want to know. From your posts, I didn't think you and Chelle were afraid of anything!
59pearly
59pearly

Back to top Go down

Post by edbson Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:46 am

I won't eat Pork, Mayo or dark meat chicken, would really prefer no chicken but I do eat it sometimes. I won't eat bear, or snake, bit I DO love Alligator, rabbit, and frog legs. They all taste like chicken, to an extent.
I will not eat cooked veggies, except green beans and corn..broccoli, cauliflower etc is all raw here. I do eat alot of chinese food, or Vietnamese depending on the restaurant......they say they are chinese, but speak veitnamese.....lol.
I dearly love Mexican food, real mexican, not texmex.

I am cajun, we cook everything with red pepper, and lots of spices, so my kids will eat anything with a reddish tint.

I eat raw oysters, but won't eat them cooked, and we eat alot of fish, Speckled trout, catfish, red drum, black drum, flounder,Stingray, shark, Crawfish, crabs, shrimp, although I am allergic to shrimp. ..... you name it, if it swims we will eat it. EXCEPT Gar, I ain't eating nothing that ugly!!!

BTW, if you order scallops in a seafood restaurant, chances are you are eating Stingray........it's cheaper and it tastes the same, looks the same. Same thing with Crabmeat, chances are it is Sheepshead, a large fish that tastes like crabmeat and has the same texture.
edbson
edbson

Number of posts : 5916
Honeycomb : Level 6~ the abyss,
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by 59pearly Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:49 am

Edbson, you are making me hungry! I do like gar but for sure it is one ugly fish! Just finished off some gator sausage my cousin brought me from LA.
59pearly
59pearly

Back to top Go down

Post by thebigscott Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:56 am

I'm getting to be a better cook. I used to not cook at all, which worked because Scott loves to cook and is very good at it. But I wanted to learn. So I can do several basic things, and even a few fancy things. And I can bake. I love to bake. I try to expand my tastes a little at a time. Scott is good at not pressuring me, which was something my mom did and makes it harder, not easier.

I don't know why I'm the way I am. But I will keep working on it. The more I cook, the less it bothers me. I overcame my fear of bugs by living on a farm. There's only so many times a day you can freak out, you know. So I'm working on overcoming my food aversions the same way. I used to not be able to stand to being in the kitchen while Scott's cooked stuff that he liked. Now I can even help out. One day I hope to enjoy eating it. I figure if I get used to the smells, then I'll be able to taste it and eventually even like it.

Food is my major wierdness. The rest of life is easy compared to that, LOL. I am easygoing by nature and don't freak out about much. I'm not fearless, but I am not going to let my fear intimidate me. I gave up being intimidated one year for lent and have tried to stick with that. That's part of the reason I'm determined to learn to eat more things. I don't want to let something as harmless as a new food intimidate me. So I am learning to try more things, cook more things, and get past it. But it still grosses me out.
thebigscott
thebigscott

Number of posts : 9214
Honeycomb : Level 6 ~ Sweet Bee

http://messierobjects.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:00 pm

LOL pearly, yep, deathly afraid of spiders. I will break a leg to get away from a spider. LOL and the damn things are so small you cant shoot them. well you can, but they make a big hole.

Erin, I only eat brocoli and calliflower if its fried.
Okra too. I refuse to eat slimey.

I eat lobster and crab, but thats about it.

Karen, I guess since I kill it I dont mind cooking it. THe only thing I refuse to allow in my house is liver. I puke at the smell. and Onions truely give me a headache. Every once in a while I will let BR cook with them. and I always throw a few in the crab boil when we do crawfish. but I refuse to eat them. LOL
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:42 pm

59pearly wrote:You all are laughing at me because of my tastes in food.
I can't laugh at what anyone eats -- I enjoy moose meat every once in a while!

Well, I can laugh at chelle eating squirrel. I've never heard of anyone doing that before. I guess I figured that only happened on the Beverly Hillbillies!

I don't know how you'd classify the way people eat here. You can get authentic Asian food, but you can also get a very Canadian version of Asian food too. We don't fry very many things and the only time you ever have gravy is when you make a roast. I guess there's more of a British influence and a little bit of French. I tend to make a few Scandanavian dishes too, but I've also got some Swedish and Danish blood in me.
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Number of posts : 6118
Honeycomb : Slowly sinking deeper into the Abyss

http://bzzz.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 59pearly Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:55 pm

Rebecca1340 wrote: I guess there's more of a British influence and a little bit of French. I tend to make a few Scandanavian dishes too, but I've also got some Swedish and Danish blood in me.

Now, I've been watching some British healthy eating reality shows and I am flabbergasted on how they fry eggs. Maybe it's just the people they are dealing with but I really didn't know anyone fried eggs in enough grease to fry chicken. I've seen it over and over on this show. And they are all different people. That makes me gag.

I enjoy Scandanavian cooking. It seems somewhat lighter and is refreshing.

What!!! No gravy!!! affraid
59pearly
59pearly

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:56 pm

Probably the two weirdest things I eat would be fiddleheads (for those who haven't heard of them they are a type of fern that grows on the riverbanks but they are only good before they unfurl, you just boil or steam them and add butter) For anyone who has had dandilion greens it's close but not as bitter as dandilion greens. The other thing I eat that is weird is creton, I dont' want to describe what it is for fear of grossing some of you out. Some of the Canadians or anyone who is French will probably know what this is..
KellyM
KellyM

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:15 pm

On a visit through Canada, I was able to learn about and come to love cheese curds, also french fries with gravy on them.

Cheese curds are very difficult to find around here, and when I do find them, they are outrageously expensive.
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~

Back to top Go down

Post by KellyM Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:37 pm

bizzeedee, you reminded me of a favorite of mine that I haven't had in a while, poutine (french fries w/gravy and cheese) yum! My husbands sis just moved to Maine from Wisconsin, she used to send us cheese curds every year, they lived right down the road from a factory where you could buy them fresh, and cheap..there's nothing like fresh cheese curds..
KellyM
KellyM

Number of posts : 2887
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:51 pm

Creton is more of a Quebecois food. People around here don't eat it. Poutine is Quebecois as well, but is much more widespread although outside of Quebec people often cheat and use shredded cheese instead of cheese curds. I'm not really fond of either, but I do like a good tourtiere in the winter time.
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 59pearly Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:10 pm

KellyM wrote:Probably the two weirdest things I eat would be fiddleheads (for those who haven't heard of them they are a type of fern that grows on the riverbanks but they are only good before they unfurl, you just boil or steam them and add butter) For anyone who has had dandilion greens it's close but not as bitter as dandilion greens. The other thing I eat that is weird is creton, I dont' want to describe what it is for fear of grossing some of you out. Some of the Canadians or anyone who is French will probably know what this is..

I googled creton and read the recipe. It didn't gross me out and except for the cooking in milk, it is similar to head cheese. I am going to try cooking it. I bet my family, for the most part, will like it.
59pearly
59pearly

Back to top Go down

Post by bizzeedee Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:29 pm

Yes, I had forgotten, the fries came with cheese & gravy. Actually I think that was in a KFC in Ottawa. But we came across strange foods in Quebec as well. As beautiful as Quebec is, we found it to be extremely cold, and were were there in the summertime, so I'm talking people! But Ottawa, wonderful people.
bizzeedee
bizzeedee

Number of posts : 4243
Honeycomb : Sweet Bee ~ Level 6 ~

Back to top Go down

Post by trax Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:52 pm

Thank you all for all your posts with reference to the war. I have much to learn on the south. I know one thing - Neil Young - well, he does not have a great fan club down in the deep south. What I truly find amazing that The War Of Northern Agreesion - ends up to be primarily made up of food and what we eat! That is great, you folks should rule the world. cheers

Oh, yes, I must mention, once again, how thrilled I am a looking at my John Prine Avatar.
Thank you.

Happy Canada Day/Happy 4th of July.
trax
trax

Number of posts : 1470
Honeycomb : In Hold Mode - Level 6
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Scar Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:57 pm

Actually the feud between Neil Young & Lynyrd Skynyrd was a myth
In the song Sweet Home Alabama one of the verses is an attack on Neil Young: "I hope Neil Young will remember a southern man don't need him around anyhow." Young had written songs like "Southern Man" and "Alabama," which implied that people in the Southern US were racist and stuck in the past.
Skynyrd responded with this, a song about Southern pride and all the good things in Alabama. The feud between Lynyrd Skynyrd and Neil Young was always good-natured fun; they were actually big fans of each other. Ronnie Van Zant often wore Neil Young T-shirts on stage and is wearing one on the cover of Street Survivors, the last Skynyrd album before his death.
Scar
Scar

Number of posts : 1135
Honeycomb : Honey-Freaking-Bee-Finally!
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by 59pearly Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:11 pm

"What I truly find amazing that The War Of Northern Agreesion - ends up to be primarily made up of food and what we eat! That is great, you folks should rule the world."

The War Of Northern Aggresion - Page 2 88315
59pearly
59pearly

Back to top Go down

Post by trax Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:14 pm

Scar - what you posted is correct. However, for both parties - it continues to make $$$ and good for them!
trax
trax

Number of posts : 1470
Honeycomb : In Hold Mode - Level 6
Registration date : 2008-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Rebecca1340 Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:45 pm

trax wrote:Thank you all for all your posts with reference to the war. I have much to learn on the south. I know one thing - Neil Young - well, he does not have a great fan club down in the deep south. What I truly find amazing that The War Of Northern Agreesion - ends up to be primarily made up of food and what we eat! That is great, you folks should rule the world. cheers

I never would have known that either! LOL! So as Canadians, I guess we can surmise that it was like the food fights in the cafeteria in highschool. One side stood north of the Mason Dixon line and threw Oatmeal, the other side stood to the south and threw grits.
Oh and I had no idea what grits were either until I googled them. The War Of Northern Aggresion - Page 2 88315
This American history lesson makes Canadians look like barbarians! When we had our rebellions in 1837 they armed themselves with pitchforks instead of food! Razz
Rebecca1340
Rebecca1340
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by chelle Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:57 pm

59pearly wrote:"
trax wrote: What I truly find amazing that The War Of Northern Agreesion - ends up to be primarily made up of food and what we eat! That is great, you folks should rule the world. cheers

The War Of Northern Aggresion - Page 2 88315

I thought we did?
chelle
chelle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content